Saturday, October 17, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Come back when I don't have so much to do! I awoke to the height of the two nor'easters attacking the east coast this morning. I'd wanted to get an early start to the farm market, but there was no way I was doing that in the pouring rain. I slept until 9:30 instead and read Swing in bed. Thankfully, it let up by 10:30, which gave me the time to run to the farm market, and then to the bank.

Good thing I didn't need much at the farm market, anyway. It was extremely quiet for the farm market. The only booths who braved the weather were the vegetable booths, the flower stalls, the dairy and meat booth, the mushroom growers, the organic booth, and the orchard booth. I bought small Gala apples, pears (peaches seem to be done for the season), a cucumber, apple butter, and a kind of string bean called Cranberry Beans. They were cream-colored beans splashed with cranberry red. The farmer who sold them to me said to par-boil them, then use them in soups or stews. Cool. I have tons of home-made chicken stock. This might not be a bad soup week.

Spent the rest of the morning at home, finishing Swing and messing around online, with a chicken leg and spinach salad for lunch. The rain was light enough by 2PM for me to ride to work with no problems.

Work was surprisingly busy, given the lousy weather, right up until about 6PM. I found out why it had cleared out when I finished my shift at 6:30. It was raining again, and pretty hard this time, too. Good thing I wasn't going far. I had two slices of pizza at Tu Se Bella's in the Audubon Crossings mall, then went back to the Acme to do this week's grocery shopping.

Didn't need much at the Acme, either. I just ran out of allergy medicine, so I got more of that. Got chicken for the soup, vanilla extract, yogurt, and Nature Valley Nut Clusters (nuggets of nuts and granola). I only bought the last because they were on sale and I had a coupon. I love nuts, especially almonds and pecans, but they're so expensive!

No comments: