Saturday, October 03, 2009

How I Spent My Saturday Off

Well, I started it by oversleeping. I wanted to get out earlier to make the Saturday Farm Market/Yard Sale run, but I didn't get out until 10:30. Good thing I went to the bank yesterday.

The Farm Market was super-busy, even at quarter of 11. Thankfully, I was able to find what I needed, and it wasn't much, anyway. I picked up carrots, apples, bok choy, peaches, and zucchini.

I completely forgot the Collingswood Book Festival was today. Every year, on the first Saturday in October, the Collingswood Library holds a big fair on Haddon Avenue where publishers, writers, and used books vendors can sell their wares. There were a few craft booths, but it was mostly books. Mysteries, erotica, books about the South Jersey/Camden area, books about local sports teams, children's books, fiction, non-fiction. There was a special area on Leeds Avenue that was just for the youngest fair-goers, with teenagers costumed as Dr. Seuss characters and Where's Waldo, clay-making, and face-painting.

I rode around a little after I left the Book Festival and checked out yard sales, but I only found one interesting one. Good thing it was around the corner from me. As I checked out the massive selection of records, the clouds that had been on-and-off all morning burst into a shower. As parents and children dashed around, trying to cover collectables, I grabbed a couple of records, paid the mother, and made my own dash for my apartment. I ended up with the greatest hits of Creedence Clearwater Revival and Steppenwolf, one of Weird Al Yankovitz' earliest albums, and the soundtrack to the 1970 musical version of A Christmas Carol with Albert Finney, Scrooge.

The rain had already lightened when I arrived home. I decided if it did end, I would go for a trip into Philadelphia. If it didn't, I'd stay at home for the rest of the day. By the time I'd finished lunch, the rain had stopped, though it remained warm and humid. I figured it was safe to head for Philadelphia.

The PATCO train into Philly was surprisingly full for a weekend. I guess I wasn't the only one who decided to do a little shopping in the city. I went to all my usual favorite places, the FYE and Borders on Broad Street, the Hallmark on Market Street, and the Gallery Mall. Philadelphia was teaming with people today, both on the street and in the buildings. I had to make my way through some pretty heavy crowds.

FYE has all of it's WebKinz Accessories and clothing on sale for $1 and $2 respectively. I bought a Santa Suit for my reindeer Clarence to wear at Christmas. I've almost bought it several times at Willie the Woodsman and Wife in Audubon, but it's $11.99 there.

Ducked into the Hallmark on Market Street, across from Hard Rock Cafe, to avoid some noisy evangelist's spiel. I bought two birthday cards for two of my best friends, Lauren and Amanda, who have October birthdays. (Amanda, in fact, had hers Friday. I really need to e-mail her.)

The FYE at the Gallery Mall didn't have clothing or accessories, but they did have the new October WebKinz. It was hard to choose between the Peppermint Puppy and the Citrus Dragon, but I finally decided I liked the Citrus Dragon's virtual pet item, a Lemonade Stand, better. I picked up the DVD for Annie on sale at Suncoast.

I took a full train home around quarter of five. The sun had come out sometime between my arrival in Philadelphia and my departure, and I rode home in glistening, still somewhat humid sunshine.

Oh, and meet Limon, my Citrus Dragon! I think I'll put him outside with Plymouth the Turkey (if he understands that the turkey is his friend, not his Thanksgiving dinner). ;)

No comments: