Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Winds of Fall

Spent a chilly, windy day mostly inside. I just hung out online this morning. I should have been doing job research, but I procrastinated. I know, not doing anything won't get me anywhere. How can I explain how scared I am? I know, I know - get over it, everyone in the whole entire universe is out of a job, etc, etc. That's not helping me. It's not a matter of thinking negatively or positively, either. There's just so much out there, and I don't know where to begin. I've posted my resume at the major job sites, but they never send me anything legitmate. I need to find a library assistant job or something similar that will hire me despite not having a college degree in the right thing.

Also enjoyed two more Fairie Tale Theater episodes, both about the misadventures of curious young boys. Paul "Pee Wee Herman" Reubens makes a surprisingly spot-on Pinocchio, with Carl Reiner as Geppetto, Lanie Kazan as the Blue Fairy, James Coburn as the evil Gypsy who wants Pinocchio in his puppet show, and James Belushi as one of the two con artists who trick the innocent puppet twice. Jack and the Beanstalk is stolen by Elliot Gould and Jean Stapleton as the Giant and his nagging wife.

Work wasn't much more interesting. It was off-and-on busy, with no major problems. I had no relief and was in and out quickly. My ride was very windy. I had to chase after the bikes' covers when I got home!

4 comments:

niferjen said...

The cool thing about libraries is you don't particularly need a degree in "the right thing". If you are diversely read, or have a head on your shoulders (or both :), you'll do just fine! Unfortunately, they are popular places to work. Have you considered checking out medical offices to see if they need a data clerk or something? It's not procrastinating if you don't know where to start.

Linda said...

Emma, I would start at the beginning. Find out when you can take the civil service test. Yes, I know you can't manage on a library assistant's part time schedule. But IF you passed the CS test, and IF you got an opportunity to work as a library assistant, perhaps you could always also work at the Acme to supplant your budget. They may not need a library assistant on Saturday and Sunday. Those days you could work at the Acme, and you can tell them you can work all day. There's 16 hours right there. In the meantime, taking the civil service test and passing it might get you something else. Maybe it might be answering phones, or filing. Trust me, I hate to file, too. But it would be a better paid job, with benefits. Then you could think about school.

Emma said...

Actually, I LIKE filing. It's answering phones I have problems with...

Linda said...

I wonder if there's still a market for filing like there was in 1982! When I was with temp services, all I ever got to do was filing!

Answering telephones, especially if you are a receptionist, is actually easier than what you do all day. You have the phone between you and the customer as a buffer. Unless you're answering phones for someone who's really busy, you don't have to look down the line of customers waiting while you are dealing with the one on the phone. I'd rather answer a phone.

At this point, you have a valuable asset: you have customer service experience. Yes, you have not coped a couple of times, but 99% of the time you do well. This is a good skill.