Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sometimes You Feel Like An Acorn...

Started off today with work. I worked 9-1 today, which are really some of the best hours you can get. It started off quiet. In fact, I spent most of the first two-two and a half hours organizing candy. It picked up a little around 11, but never became really, really busy.

And no wonder. It was gorgeous today, sunny, windless, and in the lower 60s, warmer than it has been but still a mite cool for this time of year. I bought some of the Acme's cholesterol-free/vegetarian fed chicken eggs, which were on sale, and then headed home. It felt so nice to be riding home in sunlight! It's usually night by the time I get done.

(Why don't I work more often in the morning? I don't have the seniority at this store. I've worked at three different Acmes since I started in North Cape May in 1999. I've only been with this store for four years.)

After I came home, I had a quick lunch (carrots, yogurt, and a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin), changed out of work clothes, and went back outside. I wanted to get as much raking done as I could before I lost the light. I got two hours' worth in and finished the entire front yard but the patch of lawn next to the driveway and the side path leading to my apartment. This was a bigger deal than usual, thanks to the gigantic acorns that have been falling this season. I've never seen acorns this big before! Some of them are at least as big as ping-pong balls. They made the tarp I carry the leaves in very heavy.

Spent the rest of the evening messing around on the computer. I'll finish the raking on the side path and the front yard tomorrow morning. (I don't work until 3:30.)

1 comment:

Linda said...

You've been there four years and don't have any seniority yet? Wow.