Monday, October 12, 2009

The Old Cold-Columbus-Day-Laundry Trick

First of all, Happy Columbus Day to all Americans, and Happy Thanksgiving to you Canadians who get your turkey early.

Second, I started my rare holiday off by sleeping in. Headed to Uncle Ken's for this week's laundry session after breakfast. Dad was still in Cape May, but Dolores and Uncle Ken were around for much of the day, babysitting her grandson Blake.

I went for a short walk around the neighborhood while the laundry in the dryer. It was an unusually cold and cloudy day for mid-October. Not cold enough for snow yet, but cold enough. Some houses were brightly decorated with Halloween decorations, but most had just settled on mums, banners, and the last of the roses. (I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people can't afford fancy exterior decorations this year.)

My laundry took a while, but I finally got home around quarter of 2. I had a quick yogurt and fruit lunch, and then went back out. Rode over to the Audubon Crossings shopping center behind the Acme. I hit FYE first. I promised Lauren I'd get her a WebKinz Blue Jay for her birthday, and I got another friend a birthday present as well. I also grabbed Get Smart: Season 4.

My next stop was Wal Mart. I'm thinking of being a witch for Halloween. It's the only thing I really have time to put together. I'll be a nice witch, though...which means I don't mind wearing a pointy hat but have no desire to slather myself with green makeup. I wanted to find a witch's hat, but the only ones Wal Mart had were fancy ones covered in stars or feathers and flowers...and they cost between 8 and 10 dollars, ridiculous prices for a hat that I'd wear once or twice around Halloween and stash in the back room the rest of the year. I'll check the Dollar Tree the next time I'm in Westmont.

Made quick stops at Staples (wanted to see if they had cheap flash drives - nope) and the Acme (for lemon juice and the Quaker Cereal sale), then rode home. Spent the rest of the evening working on inventory and watching Get Smart episodes. Favorite by far was the season opener when Max gets engaged to 99. That was so sweet.

No comments: