Sunday, October 25, 2009

Helter Skelter

Finally awoke to a bright, sunny, clear morning. I poked my head out my door and discovered that the humidity and clouds were gone and it felt a lot more like fall. I made Sweet Potato-Whole Wheat Pancakes for breakfast and listened to the Brunch With the Beatles show. One of my favorite Beatles albums, the self-titled "White Album," was in the spotlight today.

I really wish I could have stayed at home. Work was an utter and complete pain in the rear end. It was busy all day long, and we had several call-outs and not nearly enough help to handle the lines. The morning managers begged me to stay longer, but I opted for an hour. I actually wanted time to eat dinner and take a shower.

The long lines made for very cranky customers. One older woman kept complaining about how she didn't want to come to a supermarket in the first place and why did the man with her buy this and that, and where were the baggers and why did she have to do everything? I really wanted to ask her why she came with her son to the supermarket in the first place if she hates supermarkets. Why go somewhere you don't like if you don't have to? Did she think she couldn't trust him to go alone?

I am so, so glad tomorrow is my only day off this week. I really don't want to go back to work after today. I have no idea why it was so busy; the nice weather, I guess. There's no sports events on today. The Eagles play tomorrow, and the Phillies don't start in the World Series until Wednesday. Halloween is next weekend, and so's the beginning of the month.

Came home as quick as I could when I finally got out. Made an omelet with farm market vegetables and Colby cheese and sweet potato hash browns for dinner and watched Across the Universe.

Universe is the very strange story of a young man from Liverpool who goes to the US in search of his birth father and finds himself caught up in the major changes and protests of the late 60s in New York. He befriends a college drop-out and falls for his sister...but their different political beliefs separate them when her brother goes to war and she wants to join the anti-war movement.

The use of music and incredible visuals make up for what's really a ho-hum plot. There's a lot of literal and figurative "tripping" here, with wild colors and heavy use of the psychadelic era. The music tends to overwhelm the plot, making it almost like a revue.

No comments: