Monday, April 02, 2007

More Disney Treasures And Other Awesome DVD News

First of all...YES! According to UltimateDisney.com, there will be more Walt Disney Treasures sets on December 11th! There were rumors earlier this year that Disney was going to discontinue the series, and even Treasures narrator Leonard Maltin wasn't sure if there'd be more. For once, I'm really happy he was wrong! ; 0 )

Two of the sets originally confirmed as "Legacy" sets are now "Treasures," and one of them, the set with the remaining "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" cartoons, definately intrigues me. Oswald is Mickey Mouse's ancestor, Walt Disney's original silent creation before he lost the rights to him to Universal. Apparently, the Disney company bought the rights back from Universal and is now putting the existing cartoons out. Having enjoyed the early black and white Mickey adventures on the "Mickey Mouse In Black and White Vol. 2" Treasures set and the "Vintage Mickey" DVD (as well as the silent Felix the Cat cartoon on my public domain Felix tape), I'm looking forward to meeting Felix's contemporary and Mickey's early reletive!

And...more Donald Duck! Also confirmed for this wave is the third "Chronological Donald" set, featuring all of his cartoons from 1947 to 1950. I have the first two collections and adore them. Donald's been my favorite Disney character since I was little. I smell a Christmas present in the making! : 0 D

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/index.htm

Also awesome news from DVD Verdict, which lists several favorite movies and TV shows I've wanted on DVD for a while as coming out within the next three months, including the first season of "WKRP In Cincinatti," the second seasons of "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley," the third seasons of "Dinosaurs" and the original "Scooby Doo," a whole bunch of Doris Day Warners musicals making their DVD debuts (I taped "On Moonlight Bay," "My Dream Is Yours," and "Romance On the High Seas" off TCM and hoped Warners would get to them one of these days), tons of John Wayne (my stepfather will be in western heaven), the entire Tyrone Power swashbuckling oveure (all right, "Captain From Castile!"), pirate movies ("Against All Flags"), the debut of "Dreamgirls" on May 1st, and intriguing collections for everyone from James Cagney to Droopy Dog. ("Tex Avery's Droopy - The Complete Theatrical Collection").

I'd better start saving my money...

No comments: