Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Gift Of Health

My sister Rose gave me three free months at Weight Watchers for my birthday. We're going to try to do it together. My best friend Lauren's tried to get me into Weight Watchers for years, but I never had the time to attend the meetings, I'm not crazy about getting on a scale around strangers, and there's the whole "groups make me nervous" thing.

I figured I'd give it a try. I really need to lose weight badly. I'm so fat, it's disgusting. I shouldn't be this fat, but my hobbies - reading, writing, listening to music - are sedentary. I don't play sports (I doubt there are local women's field hockey teams, and I'm lousy at everything else), and I exercise to get places, not to exercise. It's been especially bad this winter, thanks to the weather.

I don't know how well I'll do. I've had a hard time with diets in the past. I get bored with them. I can't help it. I like to eat. I get bored with not eating as much as I want or the things I want, I get hungry, and I eat. You just can't read and ride a bike at the same time, or walk and watch a movie (though music, admittedly, is portable).

Day was variable other than that. I used that Giveanything.com gift certificate from Lauren to buy a 6-CD Classic Disney import set for about $18. I have one of the original "Classic Disney" albums on cassette and I listen to it constantly. The "Classic Disney" set includes songs from live-action films, TV shows, little-known cartoon, and theme parks that are seldom heard today. (A good example - three songs from the controversial "Song Of The South" are included on this collection, including the Oscar-winning "Zip-De-Do-Dah" and the standard "Everybody Has A Laughing Place." Another good example - songs from the live-action Disney musicals "Summer Magic," "The One And Only, Genuine, Original Family Band," "The Happiest Millionaire," and "Newsies.")

(And if anyone knows where the Sherman Brothers novelty tune "I Dropped A $100,000 In the Market (But Found a Million Dollars In Your Smile)" comes from, please tell me, because CDMarketplace didn't know either!)

I deposited money in the bank from yesterday and did my laundry this morning, but this afternoon was nothing but trouble. Work was mobbed again; everyone was buying "flood supplies" and complaining about their basements getting water-logged. Well, what do you expect when you build a basement in a swampy area?

I'm really getting sick of the paranoia over the bottom of the baskets. How about we get new baskets with no grilles on the bottom? Or do what a customer suggested, spend a little money, and install cameras that can tell us what's under the baskets? I was scolded today because one of the front end managers reminded me to ask about it after I already had. I was annoyed and complained, but forgot I was doing it around customers, and the new head manager wasn't happy. I was depressed for a lot of the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: