Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Goin' Home Train

Today was the last day of my vacation. Lauren and her parents saw me off at the Albany-Rensslaer Train Station. I didn't see much of it last week, but the building is new (2002, from what one plaque said) and gorgeous, with high, vaulted ceilings and beautiful wood-paneled walls.

Once again, my train rides all went smoothly. There were no problems anywhere and no delays. This time, I opted to avoid downtown Philly traffic and take the NJ Transit train to Cherry Hill. The Cherry Hill "station" is a platform behind a mall, but it did its purpose. Dad picked me up 10 minutes after I arrived. (He said he would have been faster, but he missed the turn-off for the shopping center the platform's behind.) Only problem I had anywhere was forgetting to pull out my ticket at the New York station and holding up the line, which was a little embarrassing, but I did get on the train.

It took me a mere 20 minutes to unpack, put the new items away, and unload my dirty laundry into the laundry basket after I got in. I called Mom to tell her I was home, then called the Acme. Alas, I'm working at 2:30 tomorrow, but maybe that's just as well. I could use the money. I debated going out to Taco Bell for dinner, but finally decided I've eaten out enough in the past week and opted for an omelet and an English muffin at home instead, watching third season Wonder Woman episodes.

It was gorgeous this morning in Albany, but dark clouds had begun to gather as early as the New York suburbs. By the time I arrived in Cherry Hill, it definitely looked like a storm. The storm roared to life as I unplugged my old upright computer and set up the Compaq laptop Lauren gave me. She bought herself a Mac a few months ago and asked me if I wanted the laptop she was using. She has two others in addition to the Mac (one is a very old one she uses exclusively for playing music). The one she gave me is about a year or two old, and works like a charm. It's much faster than my old upright. The upright computer is in the back room until I can figure out what to do with it.

No comments: