Sunday, August 02, 2009

Rainy Days of Summer

I guess I really was tired after yesterday. I slept longer than I thought I would. I had enough time this morning to make Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes for breakfast, get my lunch together, and run for work. (Got to listen to the first half-hour or so of the Beatles WOGL Sunday morning show, too. "Beatles On Film" was the theme today.)

It had been cloudy and humid all morning. I heard a rumble of thunder as I headed down the Black Horse Pike and into the Acme, but it didn't rain. At least, not until 40 minutes later, when all of a sudden, we had a repeat of Friday's thunderstorm and torrential rain...in the midst of huge Sunday crowds. The lights flickered, and we even lost the computers briefly. (I was just happy there was no mess in the aisles again like on Friday evening; only the puddles in the storage area where the roof leaks returned.)

Other than the weather, work was steady-to-dead, with no major problems beyond some obnoxious beginning-of-the-month customers and a late relief. Traffic had slowed enough by then for me to just shut down instead of waiting all day for the teenage boy to appear. By the time I bought a light umbrella to take on vacation for me (my orange-and-brown umbrella has a metal tip and is too big to haul on long trips) and a box of Betty Crocker Spice Cake Mix for $1.00, the sun was coming out.

The sun remained out when I made a quick trip over to CVS to pick up the things I forgot at work - batteries intended for energy-eating digital devices and desperately-needed ant baits. I've been seeing ants in the bathroom and really badly in the kitchen again. I suspect the weather may have chased them in here; it wasn't bad for a while.

After CVS, I came home, set up the ant bait, and listened to records while making a simple dinner of pan-fried tilapia, a salad with New Jersey romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and mushrooms, a light English muffin with blueberry butter, and applesauce.

I called Mom this afternoon as well. She was fine. Dad had just gotten up from a nap; Keefe was still taking his. She's quitting the cashier job at Micheal's. She hates it, and unlike the Acme, it has no union to back up her complaints. Like me, she really doesn't like standing behind a register doing nothing.

Oh, and my little nephew's birthday apparently went well. Mom said his birthday was very Transformer-themed, and he loved the one I gave him.

No comments: