Monday, August 31, 2009

River of No Return

I slept until 10:30 today. Had a very fast brunch of chocolate chip muffins and two Italian plums, then headed to the bank. I was quickly able to transfer $260 from my savings account to my checking account. This will be just enough to pay my rent tomorrow.

It was so nice, not even 70 degrees, sunny, and breezy, and I was feeling so good about saving my rent, I decided to get myself a treat at WaWa. I debated a chilled cappucino, but finally decided to save my diet and opted for a Coke Zero with cherry and chocolate syrup instead.

I got home with enough time before work to try to get a hold of Mom again after lunch. Yes, I did get her this time, and I found out why I couldn't get her yesterday. She and Dad decided yesterday that they're getting a divorce.

Mom seemed pretty cool about it. I'm not sure how I feel. I'm not upset or throwing a fit or crying or anything, which is probably what Mom though I would be. I've known for over a decade that they haven't really been in love with each other. Mom's threatened to leave Dad at least once a month since I was six. I guess I'm more...numb. I'm not sure if it's even shock, since I've been expecting this for a while. I thought Mom was going to hold out until Keefe graduated, but I guess she decided she'd just had enough of Dad.

Odd as it may seem, maybe this will be for the best, not only for Mom and Dad, but for me. Mom will need to seek college training and a job. She hasn't had a job in at least five or six years besides that cashier job at Micheal's that she hated and just quit. She never went to college, either. Her family couldn't afford it in the mid-late 70s. We can help each other look for jobs and find tutors and tips for getting into college and grad school.

Mom says Keefe is staying with her. Just as well - he doesn't get along too well with Dad anyway. They're selling the house. I think this is a little odd, since they just built the darn house at considerable expense last year, but neither of them could probably handle taking care of it or paying for it alone.

It's probably just as well that work was steady-to-dead with no major problems. I was kind of doing the motions. I was in and out, and my relief was right on time.

No comments: