Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October Heat

It must have rained overnight, though I didn't hear it. It must have happened after I went to bed. I awoke to clouds, heavy humidity, and unusual 77 degree temperatures. My porch was soaked.

My first stop of the day was an early trip to the Haddon Township Library. I wanted to beat the weather. It showered a little on my way there, but nothing really bad. The weather and the early hour - I arrived around 10:30 - must have cleared people out. The books were being inventoried, but I was still able to shelve and organize DVDs. I only two two Scooby Doo DVDs - a set of two episodes of the original 1969 series and one of the recent animated movies - out this week. I have plenty of other things to watch for Halloween, but I'm going to need inspiration for my Velma costume.

Stopped at Super Fresh after I left the Library. For once, I really needed things there. Their 4 LB bag of sugar is cheaper than Acme's, and their grits were on sale, too. And I like the Hodgeson Mill individual yeast packs better than the more expensive Fleischman's. They just seem to work better for me. Super Fresh was busy, but I was able to find an empty checkout line and get out fairly quickly.

Next, I made a quick stop at Dollar Tree. I badly needed a new shower curtain. Mine was disgusting. I also picked up napkins and a new laundry bag. It's made of cheap maroon plastic. I doubt it'll last very long, but it'll do until I can get or make a fabric one.

Headed to the Bagel Shop next for lunch. The weather must have scared all the teenagers off. It was 12:30, and there was only one other customer. I had a pizza bagel that had so much cheese on it, it was too rich and I couldn't close to finish it or my fries. I did eat my pickles, though.

Went home after lunch. It was cloudy again, but getting lighter. The sun was even starting to show. Alas, by the time I'd gotten inside and was pulling out my DVDs and grocery store items, the rain had returned.

I ran Scooby Doo episodes and a horror-oriented Bowery Boys movie, Spook Busters, while working on Halloween Sugar Cookies. The cookies were inspired by a box of Pilsbury Haloween Sugar Cookie Mix I saw at Super Fresh. I was tempted to buy them...then decided I could make them much cheaper myself. I used the low-fat Stir-and-Drop Sugar Cookie recipe from The Betty Crocker Cooky Book. Swapped almond extract for vanilla, one cup of regular flour for whole-wheat flour, and added red, yellow, and brown sprinkles and orange food coloring. I burnt the second batch a bit, but otherwise, they came out quite well...and VERY orange!

The Scooby Doo DVD was one of the cheap collections with two episodes from the original 1969 Scooby Doo, Where Are You? that Warners put out when DVDs first came out on the market. This was relieved somewhat by the episodes being some of the best and most iconic of the original series. Which Witch Is Which? concerns Mystery Inc. running afoul of a witch and a zombie in a southern swamp. That's Snow Ghost turns their ski vacation into a scary trip when they encounter a Abominable Snowman-like ghost on the mountains.

The rain had slowed down enough by the time the cookies were cooling that I decided I could get away with a walk. I had a nice stroll down Manor Avenue and back up Kendall. The trees are just starting to hit their peak here. I had a wonderful time admiring all the fabulous pale greens, brilliant golds, bright oranges, soft rusts, and flaming reds.

The rain slowed during my walk, then finally stopped all together. I was able to bring the bags of sticks and my and Miss Ellie's trash without getting soaked. I went to Miss Ellie to find out what she needs pruned when things dry a bit and to get my pay for raking yesterday.

Spent the rest of the day inside. I desperately needed to clean my bathroom. The tub in particular was really scummy. That new shower curtain needed to go up, too. I had enough time after I finished to work on editing more Bowery Boys fanfiction.

I made chicken burgers, sauteed peppers and eggplant, and mashed sweet potatoes for dinner while watching Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster. Mystery Inc. heads to Scotland to visit Blake Castle, the home of Daphne's ancestors. Blake Castle is hosting Scotland's Highland Games...but the most famous resident of Loch Ness Lake may have other ideas in mind! The gang find themselves trapped between a scientist who truly believes in "Nessie"...and a museum curator who just as firmly believes the monster is a fake.

I rather enjoyed this story. For once, the "villain" wasn't really a bad guy, but someone who had a good reason for doing what they did besides hiding a crime. And as one of the very few Scooby Doo outings to take on a genuine legendary creature, I liked the open-ended finale, with Velma admitting that even she thinks there are some mysteries that are just better off staying mysterious.

No comments: