Monday, October 18, 2010

Rush, Rush

I overslept this morning and didn't get to the laundromat until quarter after 11. This wasn't a very smart idea. First of all, the washing machine I chose turned out to not have been allowed to finish its spin cycle by the previous user. I had to wait while I finished. When it did finally finish, I was lucky to get a drier. The laundromat was very busy today.

Didn't get home until after 1...and I worked at 2. My sister Rose called while I was sorting clothes. I was very glad to hear from her. I haven't heard from her in weeks, and I wanted to confirm our Thanksgiving plans. She's fine. Her baby son Khai was just sick, but otherwise, she's been busy taking care of him and their puppies and sorting through things for the Audubon town-wide yard sale last weekend.

I gulped down an apple, yogurt, and a granola bar, changed into my just-washed work uniform, and rushed to work. I made it just on time.

Work wasn't so bad later in the night, but some of my customers in the first half of my shift were really annoying. I got stuck with that lady who always shows up in fifty layers of ripped and tattered sweaters, looking and behaving like a crazy bag lady. She always complains that the prices aren't right or are too much when they're fine, and she takes forever to get her money because she has to go through the hundred pockets and scarves she has in those sweaters. And she's rude and paranoid to the point of being obnoxious. I finally got fed up with her. I admit, asking her why she doesn't just get a purse probably wasn't tactful, but she was driving me nuts. I really wish people would learn to leave their paranoia at home. We're not out to cheat you, harm you, or do anything besides help you get what you need.

No comments: