Sunday, October 10, 2010

They've Really Got a Hold On Me

I'd just barely opened my eyes this morning when I heard the phone ring. Yup, it was the Acme? Could I come in at 11 or 12? There had been call-outs. No problem. I'd be in at noon. It was quarter of 9 at that point, and I had to have breakfast and get dressed.

Once I got moving, I made some fabulous gingerbread pancakes, then called Mom. Mom was fine, and in a very good mood. She was getting ready to find some flannel fabric to make a blanket for a friend of Rose's who had her baby a few weeks after Rose had Khai. I told her about my pleasant, productive week, and that I'm feeling much better than I did in the winter or at this time last year.

And I am. Yeah, I still sometimes get a little depressed or down, but I don't feel nearly as bad as I used to. I've been trying to find things to do to keep me occupied, and I think I've been pretty successful. Not to mention Lauren and I have been doing a lot of writing and are really feeling in sync with each other.

Brunch With the Beatles wasn't as interesting. The theme was the album With the Beatles (or Introducing the Beatles, as it was known in the US), and I'm not a huge fan of their earlier songs - they still sound a little too "boy band-ish" here for my taste. I like it better when they got experimental later in the 60s.

I left for work around 11:40. I'm glad I took the extra hours. The Acme was off-and-on busy all day. There were no really major problems, other than the 4 packs of meat for $19.99 sale isn't working right. We're supposed to be able to take the right amount off the yellow-and-red-labeled meat, but it keeps saying people aren't buying the right things, even when they are. They haven't put all the items in as part of that sale yet. It was really annoying.

Picked up eggs after work (the Land O' Lakes brown eggs were on sale), then went straight home. I had leftovers and took a shower. Got online just in time for The Dress Circle. The theme was "Opera Singers Performing Showtunes." Though Eileen Farrell had a grand time with the Gershwins' "Looking For A Boy," the real kicker was Placido Domingo and Carly Simon singing "The Last Night of the World" from the huge European hit Miss Saigon. I love that ballad...but neither Simon nor Domingo were the right people to be singing it, and it came off as odd rather than passionate.

Oh, and this is a busy sports night in Philadelphia. At press time, the Eagles are beating the wayward 49ers 10-7, while the Phils are leading the Reds 1-0.

No comments: