Friday, October 08, 2010

Everything Is Just Right

The weather today couldn't have been more perfect. I've never seen a lovelier day in early October. It was clear and warm when I awoke this morning. The wind that was leftover from the storms we've had the past few weeks had finally died down to a breeze. The sky was so blue, it hurt my eyes to look at it.

After an oatmeal and mini-pears breakfast, I headed to the Oaklyn Library to finish this week's library volunteering. They're working on moving the kids' videos over to the children's area. I didn't know what the librarian in charge of the project wanted, and she wasn't in today, so I worked on organizing the DVDs instead. The children's picture books badly needed to be shelved and organized, too.

I went straight to the Acme from the library to pick up my paycheck and grocery shop. I really didn't need to do much shopping. In fact, I was mostly there for Cheerios and stew meat and ended up grabbing a couple of sales - Acme Light Yogurt, Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent, Acme's generic tissues, flour, Palmolive dish-washing liquid.

I also got my schedule while I was at work. It's the best schedule I've had since mid-August. I got 24 hours, nothing earlier than noon or later than 7:30. 24 hours still isn't great, but it's much better than what I have been getting lately.

The Acme was packed when I was there. There was lots going on. Everyone was talking about the Phillies game tonight, especially after Roy Halliday's historic no-hitter on Wednesday. I'm glad they're doing well, but I'm almost getting sick of hearing about it! That's all they talked about on the radio this morning, too.

Went straight home after that. I put everything away, had light yogurt, peanut butter on rye bread, and an apple for lunch, then went back out again. It was too nice of a day to be inside for hours on end. I still had errands to run, too.

My first stop was the bank. I actually had a little bit more in the bank than I thought. It still wasn't enough to pay my rent. I did have to raid my savings account, but it wasn't as much as it could have been.

After that, I just went for a walk. I headed across the foot bridge and into Audubon. My original intention was to hit Act Two Collectibles and check out their bin of Cabbage Patch Kid clothes, but for some reason, they were closed when I got there. I just turned back instead and went home partially via the White Horse Pike.

It was such a nice day for a walk. The sign at the Beneficial Bank on the White Horse Pike in Audubon said it was 74 at 3PM...and I completely believe them. It was warm without either the summer's dry heat or the recent spate of cold dampness. The rain left a positive mark, though. The grass is now as green as emeralds, with few straw-like spots left, and the gardens of mums and daisies practically glow. I passed several people on bikes or on foot, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the traffic on the White Horse Pike were drivers just out enjoying the weather. I did stop briefly at the WaWa in Audubon for a drink and a banana and at Doria's Deli for a roll for dinner and conversation.

Spent the rest of the late afternoon and evening at home. It was still too gorgeous to be inside, so I swept the porch. I finished Murphy's Law sitting outside as well. It was nice just to sit outside and read and be at one with nature. I've realized how much I'd miss the birds chirping and the squirrels playing on my roof and the wind blowing through the trees if I moved.

I finally went in around 5. I made ginger molasses cookies from a Prevention Magazine recipe. They were made with Smart Balance 50/50 butter and skim milk, and they came out very moist and flavorful. I cleared out leftovers and old vegetables for dinner and had a Meatball Sandwich, Ratatouille, and applesauce. Watched one of my favorite Bowery Boys movies, Loose In London, while baking, and finally got to The Black Cauldron during dinner.

Oh, and I really ended up liking Murphy's Law. Intelligent, feisty Molly Murphy immigrates to America in 1904 under another woman's name to avoid a murder charge in Ireland. She winds up involved with a murder at Ellis Island and has to clear her name and the name of a sweet-natured man she met on the boat...not to mention keep her cool around the hunky young police sergeant.

It's very evocative of both Ireland and New York in this time period, when Tammany Hall still ruled New York with an iron fist and people living in squalid tenements were just down the road from the Vanderbilts and Morgans in enormous brownstone mansions on Park Avenue.

Oh, and at press time, the Phillies were winning their second playoff game over the Cincinatti Reds, 7-4.

No comments: