Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Rest I Need

I spent most of my time at home today just hanging out. I didn't think I'd be able to move after all the walking yesterday! Besides, Lauren and I were up until 3:30 last night chatting. I slept until 10, then wrote in my journal and read for a while. I didn't start my Applesauce Pancakes until nearly 11.

Called Mom right after breakfast. With Halloween a week away, she and the family were quite busy. My brother Keefe is a member of Lower Cape May Regional High School's Marching Band, which always attends the parade in costume. He was going as a girl, which should be interesting, given how tall he is. My sister Anny had taken her sons Skylar and Collyn to Washington Street Mall's annual trick-or-treat. Dad was out fishing.

Listened to Brunch With the Beatles during and after breakfast. "The Beatles In 1966" was the theme today. We heard songs from Revolver and from their troubled 1966 tours, including the infamous one to the Far East.

I went online for a little while after Brunch With the Beatles ended, then went to work. Work was very busy all day, not surprising for a football Sunday in sports-heavy October. With the Phillies ending their run for the World Series with their loss to the Giants yesterday, many hopes were switched to the Eagles-Titans game. Though a customer mentioned they were winning in the first half, alas, Tennessee must have made a major comeback. The Titans won 37-19, leading the Eagles into their bye week on a sour note.

It had slowed down enough by 5 that I was able to shut down easily with no relief. I needed a few things after work. My last dry erase marker had died, and I really needed a new pack. I also bought a card, granola bars, and took advantage of a huge McCormick food colorings and extracts sale to pick up Pure Almond Extract for holiday baking.

I went straight home after that. Had leftovers for dinner while listening to the operetta CD set I picked up yesterday and one of my records, a studio recording of the Victor Herbert operetta Sweethearts. Went online for The Dress Circle at 7. The theme tonight was "Everyone Sings Rogers and Hart"; i.e, a mix of pop, jazz, and theater performers singing popular and little-known songs by the composer and lyracist of the Broadway shows Pal Joey and Babes In Arms and the movie Love Me Tonight, among others.

In fact, the movies provided my favorite number of the evening. Rogers and Hart did not have a pleasant experience in Hollywood. They kept writing songs for movies that kept getting cut, including the 1934 mish-mash Hollywood Party. One of those lost numbers was "In the Dark of the Night." It was one of those slightly depressing but truthful ballads the love-torn Hart was good at...and I'm not exactly sure what those two were thinking, because as good as the song was, it was too dark for a movie about Jimmy Durante inviting all of Hollywood for the opening of his newest film.

No comments: