Sunday, August 04, 2013

The Perfect Summer Weather

I couldn't believe how beautiful it was when I got up this morning. It was sunny, windy, and probably in the upper 70s-lower 80s, with no humidity in sight. I pre-empted the Beatles show in favor of more laid-back records by Nat King Cole (Stay As Sweet As You Are) and Frank Sinatra (The World We Knew). I had some delicious Blueberry Molasses Pancakes for brunch, then called Mom.

Mom was working on a science project with Skylar when I called. She seemed to be in a pretty good mood, and not just because she was spending quality time with her oldest grandson. Dad-Bill has taken advantage of the nice weather to take a series of freelance commercial fishing jobs, and will be out at one (and out from underfoot) for most of the week.

Mom also mentioned that she and Dad are hoping to come up to visit Rose, her family, and me sometime in the next few weeks, hopefully when he gets home. They've put off coming up here for years...but now that Rose and Craig have a real home to entertain guests with, they have less of an excuse. Rose and Craig have apparently organized their home enough that it's ready for visitors.

I did the dishes after I got off with Mom, then dressed my AG dolls. Josefina doesn't have enough to change into, but everyone else got lighter clothes or bathing suits. Samantha wears the second version of her 1904 Bathing Suit with the white ruffled cap. Molly's in her super-cute 1944 Swimsuit. I got Lissie into her lavender striped Traveling Gown (her later "meet" dress), and she kept her cap and the straw hat with a green ribbon I got from a yard sale. Jessa's sports the Earth Day tie-dye T-shirt and shortalls and the Springfield Collection sneakers and socks.

I went to work soon after. Thankfully, work wasn't quite as bad as the last few days. There were still a lot of pushy or cranky people, but things started slowing down around 4:30 as everyone went to barbecues, pool parties, or headed to their vacations. My relief was on time, and I was in and out with no problems.

When I got home, I changed into regular clothes, grabbed the Lime Cream Pudding Pie I made for Dad last week and his birthday card, and rode over to his house. Dad, Jodie, and Jessa were just finishing dinner. Jodie let me have the last of their grilled steak, roasted red potatoes with fresh rosemary, corn, and tomato salad.

While Jessa and Jodie cleaned up, Dad told me about his latest house projects. He and Jodie are working on redoing their fireplace. It was originally whitewashed brick with a solid stone mantel. He wanted a softer look for the white all-over office room. Jodie's dad made a maple wood mantel to replace the stone, and Dad and Jodie are going to remove the paint to give it a more rustic look. They're also looking at repainting the kitchen, office, and living room.

Dad mentioned that Rose doesn't want to do Christmas Eve at Mom's this year. She enjoyed doing her party on Christmas Day so much, she wants to do that instead and invite both sides of the family. I'm all for it. It would certainly be easier on me. I wouldn't have to ask for a day off that's traditionally one of the busiest of the year or pack all my presents for the Cape May side of the family. I could give them to everyone in one place. I wouldn't need a ride, either - I could just walk to Rose's. Rose wouldn't have to go crazy getting a toddler, two dogs, and Craig ready to go down there, and Mom could enjoy herself and not have to cook for the first Christmas in 30 years.

(Oh, and Dad did enjoy his pie, despite it being over a week old. He had a slice before I left and said it was delicious.)

No comments: