Saturday, August 31, 2013

Hot Fun On Labor Day Weekend

Started off a hot, humid Saturday with this week's American Top 40, as we moved ahead four years to 1986. While Rose and I prepared to return to school, the rest of the US finished their summer dancing to R&B, ballads, and breezy pop. Hits that Labor Day Weekend included "Stuck With You" by Huey Lewis and the News, "Mad About You" by Belinda Carlisle, "Sweet Freedom" by Michael McDonald, "Dancing On the Ceiling" by Lionel Richie, "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna, "Friends and Lovers" by Carl Anderson and Gloria Loring, and "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin from the soundtrack of that summer's biggest movie, Top Gun. That week's number one song was the biggest solo hit for British favorite Steve Winwood, "Higher Love."

I just made a quick run to the Farm Market this week. It was cloudy when I got out, but the sun made it's appearance, even as I locked my bike at the rack across from the Senior Center. I nudged my way through heavy crowds looking for produce for their Labor Day barbecues. Those mini-melons were gone (there were plenty of the big ones left), but I did see the first winter squash and squash flowers of the year. I just opted for peaches, tiny Gala apples, a tomato, Chinese beans, and an onion. I forgot cheese at the Acme yesterday; picked up Cheddar With Herbs from the dairy booth.

I did see a scant few yard sales listed for this area, but I was tired and I spent a lot of money yesterday. I headed back to Oaklyn early via Newton River Park across from the CVS. Stopped at Dad and Jodie's to say "hi," since I haven't been there in a while. They were relaxing and watching Cabin In the Woods when I was there. They'd finally finished redoing the fireplace. The new mantel Jodie's dad made was up, and it had been stripped of the original white paint. It looked great, warmer and more rustic and in line with the house's natural setting. Dad also mentioned a neighbor was springing to remove and replace the ancient dock on the river that had been rotting away since I was a kid.

Spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon at home. I finished Weekend at Bernie's. I took photos of the two black DVD shelves in the entertainment area so I can decide what color I want them to be. I relaxed myself for an hour or so crocheting a dish rag and watching One Crazy Summer, a wacky comedy from 1987 featuring John Cusak as a high school grad looking for love in Nantucket during his summer break and Demi Moore as the tough guitarist he falls for. He and his nutty friends (including Bobcat Goldthwait) end up helping her earn the money to buy her house from the nasty owner of a seafood restaurant chain. Like Bernie's, this is a slightly off-beat comedy from the late 80s that used to run constantly on cable during my childhood. It's one of those movies people either get, or they don't. Give it a try if you're a fan of Cusak, Moore, or the "snobs vs slobs" comedies of the 80s.

I got a call from America's Best after I finished my leftovers lunch. My contacts were finally in! Great! I left a little early and picked them up quickly before work. The traffic wasn't even bad behind the mall. I thought everyone may have gone down to the Shore.

The Acme initially bore this out. They were quiet when I came in, to the point where I spent an hour organizing party items. Business picked up around 2:30, and it stayed busy until right before I left at 7:30. There were a few cranky beginning-of-the-month people, but otherwise lots of help and no major problems. I was able to leave quickly with no relief.

I won't be relaxing much next week. I work all week again - my only day off is Wednesday. While I do have a very long day Tuesday, the latest I work is tomorrow until 8, and Labor Day is only 1 to 5.

No comments: