Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ain't We Got Fun?

Spent most of a gloomy, rainy morning working on a crocheting project and dubbing By the Light of the Silvery Moon. This sequel to the 1951 hit On Moonlight Bay has tomboyish mechanic Marjorie (Doris Day) awaiting the arrival of her sweetheart Bill (Gordon MacRae) from World War I. She's dismayed to discover that when he does get home, he doesn't want to get married right away. While she not-so-patiently waits for him to earn his fortune, her brother Wesley gets a little too attached to the Thanksgiving turkey, then mistakenly believes their father (Leon Ames) has fallen for a French actress who is trying to open a risque play in their town.

Just as charming the second time around. I'm especially fond of Day and MacRae's cute "Ain't We Got Fun?" right before Thanksgiving dinner and Wesley imagining himself as a detective and the French actress as an evil bank robber. If you're a fan of Day, the first film, or of Meet Me In St. Louis-style nostalgic musicals, this is recommended and quite adorable.

I wish work was that enjoyable. It was busy for a lot of the afternoon, and I got terribly overwhelmed. I forgot to check the bottom of a cart (though no one ever did tell me if they caught the person before he left). I panicked and worried after that. It did slow down enough by 6PM that I was able to hurry out without a relief.

I got incredibly lucky with the weather. It's rained on and off all day, but was only sprinkling lightly on my way to and from work. The rain didn't start coming down harder until I was long at home and online.

I thought I pulled out chicken breasts for dinner, but I couldn't find them. I improvised a pantry chicken casserole with farm market vegetables while running the rest of Broadway's Lost Treasures I. Although many of these performances from various Tony Award shows were lip-synched, they were still wonderful to see. My favorites included the entire cast of Cabaret, including original leading man Joel Gray, the original cast of Annie putting over three of the most popular numbers from the show, the energetic title song from Applause, and Barbara Harris' touching "Movie Star Gorgeous" from the three-for-one show The Apple Tree.

No comments: