Tuesday, October 22, 2019

A Dark and Rainy Afternoon

I overslept and ended up kicking off a gloomy late morning with Peanut Butter Pancakes and the Halloween episode of Silver Spoons. When "A Dark and Stormy Night" knocks out the power, Edward encourages Ricky, Alfonso, and Freddy to tell a round-robin ghost story. In their tale, three interpret lads find themselves in a spooky old house, rescuing a pretty lady (Kate) from a Jeckyl & Hyde-esque mad scientist (Edward) and his super-polite monster (Dexter).

Worked on the game show essay for an hour after that. It's funny how things work out. As much as I've enjoyed seeing shows I grew up with online and on Buzzr like Card Sharks and Sale of the Century, the ones I've fallen the most in love with are the ones I either never heard of (the Password franchise), or only vaguely remember. I might have seen the syndicated Match Game re-runs as a very young child, but I definitely don't remember the earlier network run. I'm actually glad I came to it as an adult. I'm not sure I would have understood the majority of what goes on in that show as a kid!

I got so caught up writing and online, I rushed out for counseling at almost 1:30. I should have left much earlier. The weather, which hadn't been wonderful all day, was now misty and humid. I was quite thoroughly damp when I did roll into Haddonfield, ten minutes late for my appointment.

Fortunately, Mrs. Stahl took it pretty well, and while I was annoyed with myself, I figured it could have been worse given the weather. On one hand, work has been a bit of a pain lately, with the lack of help and how crazy it's been. As I mentioned, I'm also still frustrated with my inability to complete those important essays I want to have to post on a writing website. I have such a hard time concentrating, especially when I'm online.

On the other hand, this October has largely been going better than it did last year. Even with the bike seat problems, I've spent time with my family, bonded with my stepsister, and had a great time on vacation. As annoying as work has been, I've had more hours than I did this time last year (and the increased food stamps have helped as well). The holidays are coming up, too, as is the release of Rise of Skywalker in late December. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving at Rose's house, and I always enjoy Christmas.

With the holidays coming up, there's not much more I have planned than writing work. In fact, I really need to talk to Dad and Jodie and find out if they're still doing Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at their house, or if it'll be going elsewhere this year.

I ran out so fast, I didn't give myself a chance to have lunch before I left. Stopped at Genova's Pizza on my way home. I ate inside this time, avoiding the rain while enjoying a slice of cheese, a slice of white spinach, and a can of Coke. Half-listened to ESPN talking about the start of basketball season and messed around on my phone.

The rain had just started to pick up as I was entering Oaklyn. I was quite thoroughly wet when I arrived at home. I changed into dry clothes, then did some writing. Charles and Brett bring a bag of gold coins to a shop owned by a woman Brett knows well, Arlene (Francis), a glamorous and attractive older witch who runs an apothecary. She doesn't know where the king is, but the queen and her children were smuggled into the woods, and the Wizard Gene was imprisoned in a tree in the woods. She suggests that the fairies who live deep in the forest might be able to help...

(Incidentally, I'm glad I got in when I did. The rain picked up shortly after I sat down at my laptop, and has been going, sometimes hard, for the rest of the night.)

Broke for dinner around 7. Made scrambled eggs with spinach, cheese, and mushrooms while watching The Corpse Bride. I go further into this stop-motion romantic horror melodrama from Tim Burton at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

The Corpse Bride

No comments: