Thursday, October 24, 2019

Library Adventures

Got a quick start to the morning with breakfast and the other horror-themed episode of The Muppet Show. Shock jock Alice Cooper turned up in the early third season with his own monsters and some of his most popular songs, including "You and Me" and "Welcome to My Nightmare." He had a Faustian bargain for the Muppets' souls, but Gonzo is the only taker.

Rushed out the door to catch the 10:14 bus to the Voorhees Library. I showed up at City Hall too late and hiked down to WaWa for a quick drink and to use the bathroom...and once again, missed the bus. Dashed back to my apartment to grab my phone (which I left behind earlier), and this time locked the bike and just barely caught the bus within  minute of my walking out to the White Horse Pike. Once I got on the bus, everything was fine. There was no traffic, and I got off right across from the Voorhees Library.

The Voorhees Library holds the county library book sale every June and October. The place was mobbed when I got in around 11:30, but it gradually cleared out as most people went to work or lunch. I didn't pick up the huge haul that I've found at previous book sales, but I did find some interesting titles. Fished two cozy mysteries, Indiana Jones and the Oracle at Delphi, and a young adult novel about Zorro off the paperback tables. I did even better with the DVDs, grabbing The Sea Hawk with Errol Flynn and the the Warner Archives title Everybody Sing with Judy Garland, the latter for review on my blog next month.

Strolled past the Voorhees Town Center and down to the last Friendly's in this area for lunch. It was almost 1:30 by then. I must have just missed the lunch crowd. They were dead when I arrived. I had a cheeseburger and fries while listening to a pair of grandmas and their charges when they came in.

I really didn't want to go in the Voorhees Town Center, but I needed to use their ATM machine, and then I had to make change. Bought some tasty, off-cut bits of fudge at Boscov's candy counter, but didn't see anything else I needed there. Boscov's, Tilt Arcade, and Bath and Body Works are pretty much the only things left open in that mausoleum. They've been dying for years, a victim of a poor location in the middle of nowhere and increased retail competition in the area. They're dark and dreary, and I hate running through there.

Apparently, the buses don't like going there, either. A bus driver leaned out of his vehicle and told me that the 403 no longer picks up at the Voorhees Town Center, despite it being listed on the paper schedule. He was nice enough to take pity on me and drive me back over to across from the Library.

That one was only slightly late, and everything went fine...until we got into Audubon. Suddenly, the driver just stopped. I couldn't see anything wrong with the bus. Turns out she was having horrible, debilitating chest pains and couldn't continue driving.

Good thing we were only about a block from the Audubon WaWa on the White Horse Pike. Unlike the other six passengers who were on their way to Camden, I was able to walk back to Oakyn. Stopped at WaWa on the way and treated myself to a tasty and very sweet Maple Harvest Smoothie.

I actually enjoyed my stroll back to City Hall. While I do hope the driver was ok, I'm kind of glad I was able to get out and enjoy the weather. The sun was out, the sky was a searing blue, and it was much warmer, likely in the upper 60's. In no time at all, I was unlocking my bike at the railing next to the fire department and headed home.

Worked on writing after I got in. Brett grabs Bill before he can lap up all of Arlene's blackberry cordial. They head out the back door just as the guards break in. The trio manage to sober Bill up enough to finish delivering money. Every shopkeeper sings Richard Hood's praises, while admitting that they fear for their lives and appreciate the money and having someone help them.

Broke for dinner at 7. Had leftovers while finishing The Muppet Show, then switched to the fifth season of Moonlighting. "I See London, I See France, I See Maddie's Netherworld" has the members of the Blue Moon Agency questioning their mortality when a man dies while waiting to talk to Maddie and David. They have to literally dig up the guy to find a lottery ticket on his person, then keep him from several men who want the map he stole, all while arguing over death and the possibility of there being something on the "other side."

Finished the night after a shower with Little Shop of Horrors. I go further into another childhood favorite at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

2 comments:

Linda said...

Did the driver or someone else call 911?????

Emma said...

The Driver herself did. An ambulance was arriving just as I was heading for WaWa.