Thursday, October 17, 2019

Blowing In the Wind

Awoke to to the roar of gale-force winds on a cloudy, gloomy morning. Cheered things up considerably with breakfast and the goofy swashbuckler spoof Jack of All Trades. Jack and Emilia are horrified when someone steals sacred relics from local temples and churches in the name of Jack's alter ego the Dragoon. When staking out a churchyard fails to stop the thefts, Emilia takes a potion that makes her appear dead so she can keep an eye on the church from the inside.

Work was even quieter than it was yesterday. I barely needed to do carts; spent a lot of the day hanging gift cards, sweeping, and rounding up recycling (there was no trash, either). Even so, I ended up staying an extra hour. The head bagger was in the register, and they had no one to sweep.

Rushed out as soon as I could. Cheered myself up with Match Game episodes and lunch when I got in. Did the night time episode from 1975 on disc 2 with William Shatner and Lee Merriweather, and another from '77 with Richard, Fannie Flagg, and JoAnn Pflug imitating Brett, Charles, and Dick Gautier respectively (and doing very well at it, I may add). The box I originally used for Lauren's birthday cookies was dusty, and the tape wouldn't stick. I had to switch boxes.

As soon as the cookies were packed and the episode had ended, I rushed out. Lauren's birthday is on Saturday, and I wanted to make sure it got there before then. There was a short line at the Oaklyn Post Office, but it moved quickly.  I sent the box out with no trouble whatsoever, and it should indeed be there on time.

I considered running a few other errands, but while it wasn't raining, it was also dark, cloudy, crazy-windy, and cold. It was no day to be running around. Headed home after that and spent the next few hours writing. I'd re-written Charles helping Richard out earlier to limit it to him just playing music to distract Skutch and allow Richard to take him down. He tells Brett that the crowds of Skutch's men made him nervous. He fears crowds and fire. He claims he's no hero...but she says he was brave to help in any way, and that being a hero doesn't mean just swinging a sword around. It means doing the right thing, even when it's hard. She finally drops off to sleep, with him gently pulling the blanket over her slumbering form.

Continued with Match Game while having leftovers for dinner, then moved on to All That Jazz. I go into more detail on this dark Bob Fosse semi-autobiography at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

All That Jazz

No comments: