Sunday, October 27, 2019

The Eagles Stampede Over the Bills

Jodie picked me up early this morning. Apparently, she needed to go grocery shopping anyway. It was showering lightly when I walked in the Acme. It rained off and on, sometimes hard, through around 1 PM. We weren't busy this morning, but by around 10-11, it had gotten so busy, I wound up in the register twice. We were short on help, too. Not to mention, the new teen bagger would go outside, push a few carts in, and go back inside. At least she was able to take over the inside chores, leaving me to finally gather the rest of the carts in the rapidly diminishing rain.

Went over to Dad's with Jodie after I got off. Mark, Joya, Jessa, and her puppy Midnight (in a cute Eagles shirt!) were already there when I arrived. Those groceries Jodie bought earlier went into sweet-and-sour shrimp on white rice. Mark brought his taco salad - salad with ground meat in a mildly spicy picante sauce. There was French bread and butter, with sundaes for dessert. The sun came out as we were pulling into Dad and Jodie's driveway, and it remained sunny and windy (if humid and warm) for the rest of the day.

Thankfully after the last two weeks, the game was as good as the company. The Bills had been riding high with a 5-1 record...but they slammed straight into an Eagles team that was determined to make up for the botched Cowboys game last Sunday night. The Eagles were ahead when I got in, but just by a field goal. The Bills started to pull away from them by the end of the second half...but then the Eagles picked up momentum in the third quarter, and the Bills couldn't touch them. They finally steamrolled over them 31-13.

Despite my nodding off several times during the game, I decided to attempt some writing when I got in. The three lights lead them back to Cornelius the pony and the cart. They recognize Brett and Richard right away, and call Charles a true champion. Charles won't believe it. He's a fool, not a warrior. But the lights think he has the right pure and strong heart...

Broke for a quick dinner at 7. Since I had dinner for lunch, I had dessert for dinner. Made chocolate chip pancakes with butter instead of oil. Other than I slightly burned one, they didn't turn out too badly. Rich and decadent.

Finished the night with my Phantom of the Opera CD. In the late 80's-early 90's, I used to borrow Rose's cassette copy of the London cast album and listen to it every Halloween night after trick-or-treating. I have other things I watch and listen to on Halloween proper now, but I still try to fit this in every year around Halloween. The tale of the deformed musician living under the Paris Opera and the young soprano he controls is about as spooky as I get in my musicals. It's romantic melodrama at its most cheesy, but darned if it doesn't work. Several of the songs are among Andrew Lloyd Webber's best-known, including the ballads "All I Ask of You" and "The Music of the Night." Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford give iconic performances as the soprano and infamously scarred composer.

No comments: