Saturday, October 26, 2019

Cloudy Harvest

Began a cloudy morning with breakfast and another vintage Disney Halloween special. We taped Halloween Hall of Fame shortly before Disney's Halloween Treat in 1988. Johnathan Winters starred in this Walt Disney Presents special as a security guard at Disney who discovers a jack 'o lantern (also Winters) in a crystal ball. He claims he's hiding from Halloween, which has gotten too dull for his taste. Winters directs him to "Pluto's Judgement Day," "Trick or Treat," and most of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" to show how much fun the holiday can be.

Rushed out around 11 to hit the Farm Market, passing booths and tents setting up on Lakeview Avenue as I did. Despite the late hour and many tables being done for the season, the Farm Market was still bustling with people looking for produce for Halloween parties. I ended up with tiny apples, cranberries, two turnips, and a cucumber.

Strolled to Frugli Consignment after leaving the Farm Market. I was hoping to find a skirt to work with my Little Red Riding Hood costume. I don't know if it'll go with the apron, but I did find a skirt in a lovely orange, gold, and teal floral pattern.

Rode home across Newton Lake Park. Stopped at the CVS on the border of Collingswood and Oaklyn. Needed dish washing liquid; the small Palmolive was on sale. Also grabbed more ibuprofen and a sparkling water.

Next stop was the Oaklyn Library. I meant to hit there before counseling on Tuesday and just plain ran out of time. They're all decorated for Halloween now, with spooky black lace curtains and scarecrows and pumpkins in every nook and cranny. I organized the adult DVDs, looked over the kids' area, and moved on.

Went home for a quick lunch and to put everything away. Watched an episode of Buck Rogers while I ate. The normally goofy first season gets a little darker than usual in "Space Vampires." Buck and Wilma land on a space station to get their robot buddy Twiki fixed, but it's rammed by a freighter while they're there. The freighter seems to be filled with nothing but dead people. The commander thinks it's some kind of rare virus, but a video shows a woman being attacked by something called a "Vorvon." Pretty soon, the Vorvon is now attacking members of the space station...and it looks like Wilma may be his next victim!

Headed out to the laundromat around quarter of 3. I had so much of it, I needed a longer dryer session than usual. They were pretty busy; a chatty woman named Janet shook my hand and asked me where I was from. It took me a few minutes to explain I lived in Oaklyn. While they tried to figure out why another woman's washer wouldn't work (she didn't shut it the right way), I worked on story notes and half-listened to college football.

Did some writing once I got home and put my clothes in the drawer or on shelves. Three little lights join Charles and Brett's performance, then help out when the guards attack Richard and his men and they start a bar brawl. It's one of the lights who ends up leading them all out, except for Orson Bean, who insists on staying behind and covering them.

Broke for leftover hot dogs and roasted Brussels Sprouts for dinner, then made pumpkin cookies for dessert. Watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs while I ate and baked. I go further into the very first animated film in the US at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

2 comments:

Linda said...

I would think for Little Red Riding Hood your clothes could be any color. That's originally a German fairy tale and traditionally they dressed kids in very muted colors: greys and browns. That's why the red hood was such a surprising gift, and so noticeable, because it was red. Red must have been a much wanted child and considered special to be given the hood.

Emma said...

Yeah, if we actually have trick-or-treat (the weather on Thursday doesn't look promising), I think I'll use it. Besides...I just really like that skirt. ;)