Friday, October 25, 2019

Autumn Breezes Treat

Got a quick start this morning with oatmeal and crushed pineapple for breakfast and a quick Danger Mouse short from the third season. "The Strange Case of the Ghost Bus" takes DM and Penfold to the Indian Ocean, where odd buses have been sinking ships before disappearing from sight. DM and Penfold have to figure out what's going on with these transparent menaces, before they end up on a permanent ride through the waters!

Spent what little time I had left writing. The tavern is crawling with guards asking the locals questions. Charles and Brett distract them with a song, allowing Richard and his men to get through. They're joined by three little lights that Charles thinks at first is part of the decor, but helps them out when the guards try to arrest them for performing...

Headed out to work as soon as I got off the computer. Work was quiet pretty much the entire day. While I did mop the bathrooms early in the afternoon, I spent the rest of the day alternating between sweeping inside and gathering carts outside. No problems whatsoever.

Wish I could say that about my schedule next week. I don't have off until Thursday, Halloween, and then I have off for the two days after that...but Wednesday is an eight and a half hour day! I haven't had one of those in ages. I really wish they could have spread my days off and hours out. At least I do have slightly more hours, a pleasant surprise at this quiet time of the year.

Did better with my grocery shopping. Parchment paper was buy one, get one. I had an online coupon from the Acme's grocery rewards program for free shredded cheese, so I bought Italian 6-cheese, pizza dough, and a can of tomato sauce. (I also meant to pick up the 99 cent pepperoni, but I forgot.) Restocked brown and white sugar, cereal, canned pineapple and mandarin oranges, butter, yogurt, pumpkin, vanilla pudding mix, and yellow cake mix.

As soon as I got home, I changed, then put everything away and made my Italian 6-Cheese Pizza. Ate while watching The Black Cauldron. Taran (Grant Bardsley) is an assistant pig keeper on a small farm in a kingdom in medieval Wales. What he really wants is to be a great warrior. He gets his chance to show his true hero chops when it turns out his porcine charge Hen Wen can see the future. He flees with her, only to end up in the clutches of the Horned King (John Hurt). He escapes with sassy Princess Eilonwy (Susan Sheridan), minstrel Flewfldor Flam (Nigel Hawthorne), and furry eating machine Gurgi (John Bynr). Now they not only have to find Hen Wen, but the Black Cauldron as well, the fabled pot with the power to let the Horned King create an army of the undead that will destroy the kingdom!

While it doesn't much resemble the Chronicle of Prydain books it's based on, it does have charms of it's own. The Horned King and his undead army and the general atmosphere are so spooky, I've watched this around Halloween every year for around a decade. My parents actually took us to see it when it came out in theaters in 1985. If you have older kids and young teens who are fantasy nuts and think they've seen every Disney movie, try this one on them.

Stuck with Disney and finished the night with Disney's Halloween Treat. My family recorded this vintage Disney Channel special somewhere around 1988, and I've watched it every year since then. An animated jack-o-lantern narrates the sequences bridging spooky shorts like "Lonesome Ghosts" and "Trick or Treat," along with longer segments from movies and a sequence on cats' contribution to horror from Walt Disney Presents. Hans Conried jumps in as the Magic Mirror in another segment from Presents, this on famous Disney animated villains. (Including the one Conried voiced, Captain Hook.)

And I must share this. Early in 1978, four cast members from The Carol Burnett Show just randomly wandered on to the set of Match Game (to the delight of perpetually horny Richard Dawson and Gene Rayburn). They not only ended up playing a round, they matched the contestant, too!

Match Game '78

No comments: