Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Return of the Fall Sunshine

Began a much nicer morning with work. This time, we were mostly quiet, or at the worst steady. I did gather trash outside, shelve candy, and do some sweeping, but I was mainly outside with the carts. It was too beautiful to be anywhere else. Everything was still wet when I headed out, but the sun was already out, the sky was blue and cloudless, and while it was windy, it was also fairly warm.

Went straight home after work. I had errands to run, but first, I needed lunch. Watched The Muppet Show while I ate. Elegant horror icon Vincent Price turned up in a first season episode that had him discussing the art of acting with Kermit and helping Uncle Deadly scare Fozzie and Gonzo in a haunted house skit.

My bike seat is still loose. I tightened it for 20 minutes, and it still wasn't quite right. I went down the street, and it wasn't tight. Two neighbors a few houses down on the other side looked it over. The man tightened it with his much larger tool kit, and it still didn't stay tight. I didn't have the time to mess with it any further. I just hurried to the Haddon Township Library with it loose.

School had let out by the time I made it to the library. They were busy with after-school programs and kids playing in the children's area. I did shelve a few kids DVD titles, but the adult DVD shelves had just been moved across the main room and were full. There wasn't a whole lot for me to do. I did grab a few movies. They finally had the Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That Halloween special in; I also grabbed Captain Marvel and the original Bela Lugosi Dracula.

Stopped very quickly at Target to get a drink and money for tomorrow, but I didn't have the time to linger. For once thing, it was the height of rush hour. I was surprised at how easily I got across Cuthbert. The White Horse Pike took a few minutes longer. And yes, I stopped to tighten my bike seat at least twice. Didn't stick. It was still loose when I got home.

Worked on writing when I got upstairs. Arlene explains the Legendary Princesses to Charles, but she's looking at Brett while she does it. When the Princesses and their champions bring their hearts together. the magic in the kingdom will at its strongest...enough to defeat the evil queen. Charles thinks it's just a myth, but for once, Brett says nothing.

Broke for dinner at 7. I boiled hot dogs, then made home fries with green peppers, onions, and potatoes from the farm market. It wasn't like my stepdad's, but it still came out pretty well.

Ate while watching The Cat and the Hat Knows a Lot About Halloween. Nick and Sally want to find costumes for trick-or-treat. The Cat takes them and the Fish to see the Spooky Ooky Closet, which is filled with every kind of costume there is. Along the way, they ride through a dark woods, pass through a thunderstorm, and fix up a haunted house, learning how to deal with their fears along the way. The Cat claims he doesn't get scared, but there is one globular orange fall icon that frightens him more than any spook or goblin..

Finished the night with Dracula. Bela Lugosi plays the blood-sucking count in the classic 1931 English-language version. He first attacks Renfield (Dwight Frye), his solicitor, placing him under hypnosis and turning him into his slave. The duo head to London, where Dracula encounters lovely Lucy (Frances Dade). She finds him fascinating, but it proves to be her undoing when he makes her his next victim. Renfield has been placed in an asylum, where Dr. Van Helsing (Edward Van Sloane) takes a blood sample and realizes he's in a vampire's thrall. Meanwhile, Dracula has gone after Lucy's friend Mina (Helen Chandler), but Van Helsing and her fiancee John Harker (David Manners) are determined to see that he doesn't put the bite on this beauty.

Slow-moving and creaky, but saved by Lugosi's iconic performance as one of the most infamous vampires ever. If you're interested in Lugosi or the Universal Monsters stable and can handle the early talkie stiffness, this is one vampire story you'll want to sink your teeth into.

No comments: