Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Dolls On a Bad Day

Began a cloudy morning with breakfast and Star Wars: Resistance. Kaz and Tam are disappointed when the races are canceled and they're no longer able to join the Ace Squadron, but the residents of the Colossus have worse problems. "The Disappeared" are those who have gone missing after speaking out against the First Order, including Ace Squadron leader Hype Fazon and cantina owner Aunt Z. Kaz and Torra do what they can to rescue them...but in doing so, they expose Kaz's spying activities and puts Team Fireball in danger.

Kaz, Yeager, and Neeku manage to escape their First Order captors in "Descent." Tam, however, doesn't believe that the First Order is there to harm them and turns herself in. The trio run back to the kids, who take them to the Colossus' main computer. It's there that Kaz hatches a daring plan to lower the Colossus into the sea so they can get to the tower and send a communication to the Resistance.

Shortly after breakfast, I accidentally brushed against the shelf on the table with the DVD player. That shelf is thin and prone to tipping...and it did indeed go crashing to the floor! To my horror, two of the Clone Wars discs were missing. I found Season 1, disc 1, but I spent more than 20 minutes searching and just could not find Season 2, disc 1! I really don't want to replace it. I have to vacuum this week, anyway. If I can't find it by the end of the week, I'll replace it.

I didn't get started with dressing the dolls as fast as I would have wanted, thanks to all that mess. It was also time to pull out the dolls' winter clothes. Molly, Jessa, and Ariel are all in jeans. Ariel has beaded bell-bottom jeans with high-top sneakers and a magenta t-shirt. Jessa wears a pink, black, and white sailor-style blouse with jean capris. Molly's simpler in a red t-shirt with rolled-up jeans and loafers. Samantha and Josefina are in their current "meet" outfits. Sam wears her lacy pink dress with the burgundy velvet sash and lace collar with white tight and black and white boots. Josefina has her red and blue flower print skirt. Felicity's in her original Rose Garden "meet" outfit.

Had a really quick lunch while doing another Resistance episode. We're at the beginning of the end with "No Escape, Part 1." Things are really going badly for Kaz. Yeager was captured, and the rest of the Resistance can't come. Kaz and Torra have to rescue Yeager while Neeku and the kiddies discover that the Colossus can fly and try to get it in the air. Meanwhile, the First Order has gotten to Tam and claims they're only peacemakers...and she's starting to believe them...

The seat stayed on my bike for ten minutes. It fell off on the White Horse Pike, near the former PNC Bank. I was so fed up and frustrated, I got upset and cried and totally embarrassed myself. I tried to find a branch I could use to tighten it, but there just weren't any around. One of the store owners on that block of the Pike got it on, but it was still tippy.

Tried to cheer myself up by taking the long way across Newton Lake Park. A day that started out cloudy had turned hot, sunny, and a little humid by that point. There were quite a few people out and about, enjoying the sparkling green river, including a flock of Canadian geese poking around for a snack.

It was past 3 by the time I finally got to the Haddon Township Library. They were busy too, with a cart laden with DVDs. There were so many, half of them didn't fit on any of the shelves. I put away what I could get in. Took out two recent girl-power tales, Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase and Felicity Jones playing a real-life female rebel, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, in On the Basis of Sex, plus Funny Girl for review on Thursday.

Made a very quick stop on the way home. My friend Amanda had a birthday today. I went in, quickly grabbed her a card, and went back out.

As soon as I got home, I messed around with the bike seat again. It once again took me a half-hour, but I got it balanced enough that it's now on. Whether it actually stays on this time remains to be seen. I just have to get to work tomorrow.

Just about the only thing that went well for me today was finishing what I now call The Most Dangerous Blank. Just as Ira turns into a devil and starts attacking her, Brett is shaken awake by Fannie Flagg. Turns out it was a vodka-fueled nightmare, based on her own misgivings about their treatment, her frustration with her divorce, and overindulgence in alcohol at lunch and Richard's ongoing complaints about doing Match Game and Family Feud. Charles and Bill tease her and say she needs a doctor, but she's fine...mostly, anyway. When she shakes off the liquor and tries to ignore that look in Ira's eyes...

The only place I've ever seen Match Game fanfiction at press time is WattPad, and I'm not crazy about them. All of my Match Game fanfics as of this second will be exclusive to my Writer's Desk at the Riverside blog, including this one.

Major warning that this is a horror story, and it's got a hard R rating for language, violence, mild sexuality, and general horror mayhem. For those of you who are over 16 or are already horror and Match Game fans, I hope you all enjoy...if you dare!

The Most Dangerous Blank: Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Rose called while I was writing. I don't know how, but she'd somehow heard about what happened with my bike today. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace it, but it's really broken. I'd prefer to do it myself once I have the money, but she said we'll see. Now I really feel embarrassed. I wish I was better about holding my feelings in check. I just get upset and scared, and I don't think. I get angry. I need that bike, and it's less than a year old. I haven't had seat problems like this before.

Finished out the Resistance set as I ate leftovers for dinner. The second half of "No Escape" has Neeku coming up with the idea to flush out the First Order by flooding the halls. That works, but now they're sending TIE fighters and a Star Destroyer after them...and Tam, believing herself to have been betrayed by her friends, sides with the First Order. Kaz and the others are going to need a lot of help to take down Vonreg and his troops...but help is on the way, from not one, but two unlikely sources.

This grew on me as the season went on. I'm still not all that crazy about Kaz, who can be even more of a cocky jerk than Poe at times. The revelation about his parents and his family and what happens to them in the finale comes a bit too little, too late.

I find his co-workers to be more interesting and relatable. Tam puts a human face on the Empire and the First Order and explains why people will live in totalitarian regimes, despite their poor treatment of them - they provide jobs and safety. Neeku is hilarious, the kids are fun (and show just how awful Kylo Ren can be), and supporting characters like mouthy Aunt Z and sweet Torra add to the fun. Love the animation too, a unique CGI that's made to look like hand-drawn animation. It looks terrific, and far less "computer-ish" than some earlier Star Wars cartoon efforts.

If you're a fan of the Star Wars sequels who really needs to know more about the Resistance, you'll want to give this a look. It might make a nice lead-in to this December's Rise of Skywalker.

Ended the night after a shower with Rose of Washington Square. I go into more detail about this melodramatic vehicle for Alice Faye at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Rose of Washington Square

No comments: