Monday, October 28, 2019

Hayrides and Match Games

Kicked off the day with breakfast and an episode of Perfect Strangers. "Aliens" from the fifth season sees Larry and Balki holding a Halloween party to watch a horror movie marathon. Larry's the only one who watches it straight through. He ends up having a nightmare the next day that makes Balki into an alien who wants to take over the Earth!

Spent the rest of the morning working on that game show essay. These last few months have been so odd. I've fallen in love with a lot of things most people would find strange over the years, from Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy operettas to the Bowery Boys, but until this summer, I didn't know I needed a lecherous host asking goofy questions to a panel of five drunk celebrities (and one filled with coffee - Richard claimed he didn't drink) who have to match contestants' weird answers.

My favorite panelist is rapidly becoming Charles Nelson Reilly. Sweet, hilarious, and adorable with Brett, he was truly the lifeblood of the show. It helps that he's one of the few people here I was relatively familiar with before I got into this. I have the original Broadway cast albums for Hello Dolly and How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying and have heard his vocal turns in All Dogs Go to Heaven and the late 90's animated Babes In Toyland many times. That man did everything possible and then some, including teach acting for many years.

I know Richard Dawson's name better than I know him. My stepfather loved Hogan's Heroes re-runs and the Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi vehicle The Running Man, but I didn't pay much attention to either of them. I was six when his version of Family Feud went off the air; I'm more familiar with the late 80's-early 90's version with Ray Combs. (And no, I had no idea about the "kissing bandit" thing. It doesn't surprise me, considering he kisses almost as many ladies on Match Game.)

The panelist I wish I knew more about coming into this is Brett Somers. I like her almost as much as Charles. What a fabulous, funny lady! I seriously regret that they didn't record her one-woman show in the early 2000's like they did Charles' and that she didn't do more beyond the show and The Odd Couple. (Though I'm inclined to agree with her ex-hubby Jack Klugman, who grumbled "ask her the time, and she'll tell you how the clock was made!" She does get into her explanations!)

My feelings on Gene Rayburn are more mixed. On one hand, he can be charming, funny with his bad imitations, and the fact that he managed to keep the game moving as well as he did is probably nothing short of a miracle. On the other hand, his chasing anything female - including women far younger than he - can come off as more than a little creepy nowadays.

Naming favorite semi-regulars could probably take another year! My favorites among the ladies include Fannie Flagg (I really need to read more of her books), Patti Deutsch and her creative answers, sweet Joyce Bullifant, tart-tongued Marcia Wallace, and of course, Betty White. Favorite male panelists include big Nipsey Russell and his poems, poor nervous Bill Daily, charming Dick Gautier, and tough guy Scoey Mitchell.

Broke at around 11 for lunch and to get ready for work. Stayed with Perfect Strangers while I ate. "Fright Night" is from the seventh season, after Larry and Jennifer got married and they all moved into a larger house. Said house turns out to be haunted by the ghost of a baseball fan who was killed by the mob. After the ghost scares the girls off, the guys have to figure out how to get rid of him...before he finishes them off!

Work was really, really boring. It was dead almost the entire afternoon, and there was never less than three baggers around at any given time. I did sweep twice and went outside briefly, but I mostly hung gift cards, did returns, gathered trash, cleaned the bathrooms, and tried to look busy. I forgot to use the 99 cent coupon for Acme's premium pints on Friday; thought I'd try Bourbon Blond Brownie. Grabbed powdered sugar and condensed milk to make candy tomorrow.

I was surprised to see families strolling up to Veteran's Park next door as I arrived home. Had no idea the local hayride and pumpkin-round up was this evening! Quickly changed into regular clothes, put the ice cream away, and dashed down the road and through the black metal fence.

The hay cart is a tall wooden vehicle pulled by a blue tractor. This year, instead of sitting in hay, they lined the sides of the cart with hay bales to sit on. However, they neglected the center area, which was slippery with hay! The kids all laughed and fell into each other as they rushed in. Little girls giggled and chattered next to me; little boys looked all around at the leaves on the trees that are just turning colors and the squash and greens in the community garden.

A "pumpkin patch" - small pumpkins nestled in hay - was set up on the grass about midway through the ride. Each kid was allowed to choose a pumpkin of their own. I picked a nice little one that was a tad sticky, but also perfectly round and deep orange. When we got back, we stood at tables and decorated our pumpkins with markers or stickers. I opted to make a sticker face. I'm hoping to use my pumpkin beyond Halloween (if it lasts longer than my pumpkin did last year).

When I got home, I did a little bit of writing. The "lights" reveal themselves to be a trio of fairies. Bubbly head fairy Joyce controls plantlife. Feisty Debralee is in charge of weather and water. Sensible Joann makes flowers grow anywhere. They encourage Charles that he's more of a hero than he thinks and directs them to the tree that holds the Wizard Gene.

Had leftover chicken tortellini soup around 7:30. Watched a Halloween episode of Happy Days while I ate. Richie Cunningham is more than a little nervous when his buddy Ralph Malph is holding his Halloween bash in a supposedly "Haunted" house. His sister Joanie is convinced the resident ghost will chop off his head! Fonzie convinces him that there's nothing to fear but fear itself...and the party being raided by a local gang who are mad that they weren't invited.

Finished the night after a shower with Young Frankenstein. Dr. Fredrick Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) has inherited his infamous mad scientist grandfather's castle and equipment. He wants nothing to do with his experiments in reanimating life...until one night, when he hits on his private library and decides that dear old Grandad wasn't so crazy after all. He and his assistants Igor (Marty Feldman) and Inga (Terri Garr) do manage to bring the biggest guy in town back to life...but Igor brought him a less-than-perfect brain. Now Fredrick has to get this monster tap-dancing, and fast, before his prim fiancee Elizabeth (Madeline Khan) and the local inspector (Kenneth Mars) figure out what's going on.

I can handle horror if it's played for laughs, like in this movie and Ghostbusters. This is a classic homage to Universal horror, with Wilder and Feldman hilarious as slightly mad scientist and his hump-switching helper. The atmospheric black-and-white cinematography (including the use of the equipment from the original 1932 Frankenstein) is a big plus, as is Cloris Leachman as mysterious housekeeper Frou Blukker (whinny).

No comments: