Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Blondes and Matches

Began the morning with To Tell the Truth. I came in just as they voted for three male elementary school teachers. They all thought it was number 3...but it turned out to be sturdier number 1. The panel on What's My Line had a far easier time with their contestants. It took almost all the questions, but Arlene Francis did guess that a young woman was one of the few female bricklayers in Ohio. They were far quicker to guess that the machine a young man showed off was an early form of a Breathlyzer test. Soupy Sales got to take a nip and reveal how it worked.

Work was a bit of a pain. They closed the Nicholson Road side entrance and have someone posted at the main door to keep too many people from going in at one time. It turned out to be a moot point. We weren't any more than mildly steady the entire day. Most people are probably waiting for Easter weekend to go shopping. I do wish the manager posted at the front door had left me alone to do my job. She kept giving me orders while I did carts, even though I've done them for years and know darn well how to do them. It got harder to keep up with later when I had to do the sweeping, too. At least it was a nice day, sunny off and on and even warmer, probably in the upper 60's.

Picked up a few things after work. I've been hoping to dig up the film version of Fried Green Tomatoes for a while now; fished it out of the budget DVD bins. Found an adorable book called Teddy & Co, about a teddy bear and his stuffed buddies who have to cope when less-friendly toys join their household, in the half-price book bin. Decided to do some shopping now and some on Saturday to minimize the time I spend in Easter weekend crowds; grabbed coconut, cream cheese, and a carrot cake mix for my birthday/Easter cake, a Cheesecake Jello pudding mix for a fruit salad and and a pie crust for the quiche I intend to have for Easter dinner. I'll pick up fruit and other perishables on Saturday.

Went straight in the bath when I got home. My legs were just too sore to stand for a shower. I haven't had a day off since last Tuesday, and I won't get one until Thursday! Soaked for an hour while looking at cake books and listening to a jazz sampler CD I found at a yard sale.

Moved on to the next Match Game marathon after I got out. Lovable, slightly ditzy blonde Joyce Bulifant is best known today as Murray's sweet wife on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but she was for many years one of the most popular semi-regulars on Match Game. Her answers could be even stranger than Patti Deustch's, and were often accompanied by a weird joke or story barely related to how she got them. One of my favorite episodes of the entire series had her show off her early dance training doing a wonderful jitterbug with a champion contestant.

For all her goofiness, she did just as frequently match the contestant, including at least one 20,000 win on a PM episode. Some of her later episodes had her dressing up in strange wigs to discern her from the other goofy blonde on the show Elaine Joyce, or to match squeaky-voiced sitcom actress Sydney Goldsmith and her feathers and sequins. The latter figured into a memorable episode that had a handsome contestant give his rose boutonniere to Sydney and McLean Stevenson call up his "agent" - a little Chinese boy - onto the stage to help him with his questions.

And speaking of McLean, tomorrow the spotlight falls on everyone's favorite ex-MASH surgeon and nutty, host-chasing goofball. For now, here's Joyce's marathon for your enjoyment!

The Best of Joyce Bulifant on Match Game, 1973-1981

Finished the night with Can-Can. I go further into this 1960 vehicle for Shirley MacLaine and Frank Sinatra at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Can-Can

No comments: