Saturday, April 18, 2020

Happy Days and Matches

It was raining when I woke up this morning, but by the time I got to breakfast, the rain was long gone. I celebrated with Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. "Daniel Learns about Lizards" when he and Prince Wednesday discover a little green anoli lizard in Dan's backyard. Mrs. Tiger encourages them to study her closer and find out more about her. Animals aren't the only things people learn about. "Daniel Learns About Trolley" when he and his father take a ride on Trolley to see how many people can fit on it and discover how it gets clean and where it goes at night.

Switched to Strawberry Shortcake while making strawberry compote. Rainbowberry is "A Princess Named Rap" in the most unusual version of "Rapunzel" I've ever seen. Rapunzel is a smart tomboy who would rather do things her own way, but her tutor Sour Grapes doesn't think this is proper for a princess. She insists on locking her in a tower to focus on her studies and growing her hair long because that's what princesses do. Rainbow loves learning, but isn't happy cooped up or stuffed into a dress. She befriends Huckleberry and Strawberry when they walk by, and after Sour Grapes tries to move her further away, she shows her that the best way to learn anything is to be yourself.

Headed out around quarter of 11 to run a few errands I couldn't put off. I've been meaning to hit CVS; they're the only place I can find the brush picks I like. They had the brush picks, but not the toothbrush replacements I needed. Also got a get well soon card for Keefe and a bag and Rubix cube for Khai's birthday tomorrow and thought I'd try some strawberry fruit bars that were buy-one-get-one. They were fairly busy for them, but a second cashier opened shortly after I got in the (well-spaced) line.

Next stop was WaWa on the other side of the White Horse Pike in Oaklyn. They were also slightly busier than I've seen them recently. Ordered a roast beef and provolone hoagie, baked chips, and a new Sprite Ginger soda for a special lunch.

Rode by Dad and Jodie's house on my way back from WaWa. I wanted to at least see the outside of the apartment attached to their house. The second floor of the main house stops before the den area that connects the main house and the apartment. Good. I'm usually up late at night, and while I do wear earphones when I'm watching things online after around 10, I also have to move around. Charlie has complained before that I make too much noise when I move, especially at night. Thankfully, it looks like the apartment is just that, with nothing over them. Dad and Jodie go to sleep early; I won't bother them after 10.

My next brief stop was Rose's house. Khai's birthday is tomorrow. There was no one around, and I didn't want to agitate Rose's dog Kelsey by ringing the door bell, so I left his birthday bag on the stoop and moved on.

It was a chilly day for a ride. Though the rain had long-vanished by noon, the clouds and chilly temperatures lingered. At least the neighborhood looks lovely, awash in pale green leaves, pink hyacinths, and sun-yellow daffodils.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at home. A package waited for me in the mailbox when I got in. I got my new lighter twill work pants from Lands End yesterday. Today, the Chic pants I bought from Amazon arrived, along with a much-needed new mouse pad. Not only did I have the old one for years, I spilled tea on it last month and it was finally starting to fall apart.

Ate a quick hoagie lunch, then went in the back room to see what I could round up for packing. I don't have many boxes left, but I also can't figure out how to get them from the Acme on my bike, and anyone who could have helped me get them home is under lockdown. I did go through some of the items I hope to donate to Goodwill when they reopen and found a box to pack up the Star Wars action figures and a bag for the 12-inch dolls and stuffed toys.

Watched Bednobs and Broomsticks as I worked. I go further into Disney's second live-action/animated hybrid film at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Family Fun Saturday - Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Worked on writing for a while after I finished with the boxes. Gene hastily takes his leave and that of the other two men when Ethel tries to get too close. They retreat to Sherwood Forest, where Richard and Charles recover from their injuries. Richard tries to teach Charles how to fence, but he's not only not very good at it, but is still feeling down after the loss of his lute and Brett's kidnapping. Richard assures him that he's good at other things and what happened to Brett isn't his fault.

Finished the night on YouTube. Today's Match Game marathon went for something different - it featured panelists who had appeared on the beloved 50's-set sitcom Happy Days. Anson "Potsie" Williams appeared twice, once in 1974 and later in 1977. (He would also later turn up on The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.) Tom Bosley turned up in a memorable week in 1975 that culminated in an Easter episode with Brett and Fannie sporting ugly spring hats. Pat "Arnold" Moriata endured more than one Japanese joke when he appeared in 1976.

Sexy Roz "Pinky Tuskedero" Kelly livened up two weeks of episodes in 1977, including one with an overexcited contestant who kept jumping on Gene...and encouraged the panelists to do the same with each other after she won the Audience Match.  Williams' real-life wife Lori Mahaffery, who played Potsie's girlfriend in the show, was adorable in two weeks of episodes towards the end of the series' run in 1979.

Here's the entire marathon, so you can match around the clock with some of your favorite Happy Days performers! Tomorrow, game show fans will want to come on down and check out the most memorable appearances of the long-time announcer of Match Game and The Price is Right Johnny Olsen.

Salute to Happy Days on Match Game Marathon 1974 - 1979

No comments: