Thursday, April 16, 2020

Chilled Spring Matches

Once again began the day at work. It was pretty much the same deal as yesterday. I spent the entire morning (save 20 minutes where I cleaned up an iced tea spill) outside with the carts. The weather was a little strange. It was mostly sunny, chilly, and very windy...but somewhere around noon, it clouded up and spit a little. At one point, it even snowed lightly. The snow vanished quickly, and by the time I went home, the sun was back and would remain out for the rest of the day.

I saw a message from Mom while checking my phone during break. My brother Keefe is sick. Mom said he has all the symptoms of the virus but a fever, and his wife may have been effected, too. Keefe lives in Virginia, where he works building ships for the Navy. They can't stay 6 feet from each other in the warehouse where they build the ships. It just isn't possible. I'm so worried. All I want is for him to be all right.

When I got home, I changed and got organized while watching my first Good Eats: The Return episode. I'm not the only one who's discovered the delights and ease of icebox cakes in the last few years. Alton shows people how to make the perfect chocolate-coffee and strawberry cheesecake frozen cakes. While I'm not a fan of cheesecake, the chocolate-coffee cream cake is pretty simple, and I may try it someday.

Worked on writing for an hour after I had a snack. Charles finally drags Richard back to Gene and the ladies. Gene says they'll be going to the ball - all of them. Ethel tries to encourage them to consider letting her daughters accompany them, but they insist on meeting them there.

Spent the next couple of hours with today's Match Game marathon. Along with Patty Duke, Eva Gabor may be the best-known star at the time to have been a semi-regular. Today, she's best-remembered as the glamorous wife who would rather have lived in New York than Green Acres, and for her voice work in The Rescuers films and The Aristocats. On Match Game, she was known for her adorable accent, her odd spellings, and for her utter delight in just being there and having a good time.

She was around in 1979 for the hilarious week that featured the only non-humans to have appeared on the panel, beloved vintage TV puppets Kukla and Ollie. Brett lead a march that included them dancing and Eva singing along. She won $20,000 for a grateful young woman in the Kukla and Ollie PM episode. A young man was so enthusiastic after she won him $10,000 in another PM, he accidentally kicked her toes in open-toed sandals hard and took off her toenail! As Gene said later, she was a good sport about it. She, Brett, and Elaine Joyce helped Gene show off a young contestant's wonderful artwork of birds in a later syndicated episode from 1982.

Here's the entire marathon, so you can match wits with everyone's favorite Hungarian glamour girl, dahhling! And stay tuned for tomorrow's marathon at 2 PM, devoted to tough guy comedian Scoey Mitchlll.

The Best of Eva Gabor on Match Game Marathon 1977 - 1982

I also put on I Married an Angel towards the end of the night. I go further into this unusual romantic fantasy that was the last movie to feature Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy together at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Cult Flops - I Married an Angel

No comments: