Sunday, April 26, 2020

Where's That Rainbow?

Awoke to pouring rain out my window. Thankfully, the rain took a temporary leave of absence just as I rode to work. Spent the first half of my shift rounding up carts outside. By the time lighter showers started, I'd moved inside to do cleaning. Surprisingly for a Sunday, we weren't busy. No lines inside or out. The weather may have scared some people off. It's also the end of the month, and we're between holidays. No problems whatsoever; I even had plenty of help.

Went straight home and online. I was going to watch the next Match Game marathon, but the poor guy who puts these together is still having problems with the overloaded servers on YouTube. The marathon never materialized today. I worked on writing for a lot of the afternoon. The next arrival at the Merry Men's cottage in the woods are none other than Queen Betty herself, along with Bobby, Princess Elaine, and the three fairies. Betty refuses to sit and hide while her country suffers...but she does want to find out what happened to her husband...

It was past 6:30 when I finally broke for dinner. Listened to one of my MGM double soundtrack LPs while I made an egg and cheese sandwich and a pasta salad with spring vegetables and chunk cheese. Words and Music was missing the entire "On Your Toes" number as well as "Mountain Greenery," "The Blue Room," and the instrumental "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue." Of what was there, I most enjoyed Lena Horne's ballad "Where or When" and her wonderful version of "The Lady Is a Tramp" and Ann Sothern and the chorus with the plaintive "Where's That Rainbow?"

Most of the Good News soundtrack seems to be intact, though, including the entire "The French Lesson" with Peter Lawford and June Allyson and "Pass That Peace Pipe" with June McCracken and the chorus. I'm also very fond of another big chorus number, "Lucky In Love." (And though it's not listed, Mel Torme gets a solo segment on this one.)

Finished the night with chocolate-coconut pudding pie and the soundtrack from Xanadu. Most critics just think this one is weird, but I consider it to be a guilty pleasure. It does have some genuinely good music. My favorite song here is Olivia Newton-John's gorgeous ballad "Suspended In Time," which she sings towards the end to convince the gods to let her stay on Earth. "Don't Walk Away" isn't a bad number when it's not attached to the out-of-place Don Bluth animated sequence. I'm also a fan of the big dance numbers "Dancin'" and "All Over the World" and Gene Kelly and Olivia Newton-John's charming duet "Whenever You're Away From Me."

No comments: