Thursday, September 07, 2023

Avoiding the Heat

Started off the morning with breakfast and The Busy World of Richard Scarry. Sergeant Murphy takes the Busy Town Scouts on what he thinks will be a visit to a local power plant. "The Field Trip" turns out to be far different than anyone expects when his car breaks down, and the kids end up helping a friend on his father's farm. "The Great Pie Robbery" introduces two of my favorite Scarry characters, Sam the cat and Dudley the pig of Find Your ABCs. They use their infamously elaborate disguises to track down the thieves who stole the cherry pies from Madame Dog's pastry shop. Father Cat wants a "Clean Garage" after he damages his car running into junk, but Mother Cat thinks they may need some of that stuff someday.

Karen picked me up promptly at 10 AM. Frankly, we didn't get much done today. There really isn't a whole lot out there. It's the same problems I've had for years. Either they want more experience than I have, or they're a part-time job with no health insurance, or they're way too late at night for someone on a bike and public transportation. 

I wasn't in a good mood when she brought me home an hour later. I went for a short walk to the pretzel shop down the street to make me feel better. I had no other plans, and despite the continuing weather in the 90's and searing sunshine, I wanted to do something. Bought two pretzels and a can of Diet Coke at the quiet shop, then walked home.

Had my pretzels and a sandwich for lunch while puttering around online, and then while watching Match Game '77. Dick Martin, Fannie Flagg, and supremely sarcastic blonde Conny Van Dyke joined in that week to hear a janitor joke about getting to watch the show on the job. Charles tosses in his own custodian jokes later (along with Native jokes). They help a lady from New Mexico with "__ Matter" in the Audience Match in the second episode.

Went right into School Daze after the show ended. I go further into this look at black college life from director Spike Lee at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


After I finished that long movie, I went down for a nap. I'm trying to go to bed earlier, but it's not always easy. Not to mention, it's highly unlikely I'll get a nap in during vacation! Went down at 3. Got up at 4:30 and was still tired.

Worked on writing for a while after that. Joyce, Rover, and Charles the scarecrow stop to enjoy a munchkin celebration. The munchkin explains that Joyce is considered a hero and a great sorceress. Joyce is embarrassed. She doesn't really think she's either. 

Broke for dinner at quarter after 7. Ate while watching Match Game '79. I really like lovable Foster Brooks and wish he'd continued to appear in syndication. He was very funny, as in his jokes about why he appreciates St. Bernards. We also hear Dick Martin take a few shots at The Cheap Show in response to "The Cheap __" in the Audience Match in the first episode. They help a nervous contestant settle down in the second.

Finished the night back on Hoopla with more of The Curse of the Pharoahs. To be honest, this isn't my favorite Amelia/Emerson story. On one hand, it introduces two characters who will be important in later entries, journalist Kevin O'Connell and down-to-earth American tycoon and archaeology enthusiast Cyrus Vandergelt. Not to mention, the story basically gives us the formula for the next five books or so. 

Here, Emerson and Amelia compete to see who can figure out the villain of the day, while teaching readers about how archaeology in the Victorian era works and bringing together young lovers. Neither the story nor the villain are the strongest, but there's some nice action I thought might translate well in audio. There's also few unique characters like insufferable Madame Berengaria, who is convinced she's a reincarnated Egyptian princess and Emerson is her lover (much to his annoyance). 

No comments: