Tuesday, August 27, 2024

A Picnic In the Park

Began the morning with breakfast and The Scooby Doo Show. Mystery Inc is asking "Scooby Doo, Where's the Crew?" when a pirate ghost and two sea monsters kidnap a professor looking for a sunken ship and the ship's crew that took him there. Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby do some diving of their own to investigate the wreck and get to the (sea) bottom of this mystery.

Headed out after that. I was supposed to meet my job counselor Dawn at the Haddon Township Library...or that's what I thought. She must have heard me wrong and went to the Haddon Heights Library. Thankfully, it only took her about five minutes to find her way back after she realized the mistake. We looked around online for jobs to apply for, but finally updated an application I put out for a secretarial job at the Collingswood High School. It's a year-round job, and I wouldn't mind being around to see my nephew Khai and his friends grow. We had trouble when it came to adding a letter of introduction. My cover letter wasn't suited for a secretarial job, but she couldn't figure out how to update it on her laptop. We'd try to figure it out another time.

After I hit the bathroom, I rode down the street to Shamrock Deli to order something for lunch. Bought a Diet Dr. Pepper, a small bag of sweet potato chips, and a "Township," a huge turkey sandwich with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado on a Kaiser roll. It was almost 1 PM by that point. I must have just missed the lunch rush, because they weren't that busy.

Took my sandwich and goodies down to Newton Lake Park for a picnic. I settled on a weathered and heavily graffitied red wooden bench and table situated in a beautiful spot, on the corner between a shady spot along the lake and a big field. My food was wonderful, the sandwich so stuffed, I could barely get it in my hand. The weather was great, too. It was still sunny, hot, and humid, but a cool wind made it feel a lot more tolerable. 

Canadian geese pecked around for their lunch. After a while, some of the youngsters opted to cool off in the lake and went for a swim. Five sets of kayakers in colorful yellow and blue boats paddled by. Two of them even waved at me. A father and his daughter put chairs down on the lake to go fishing. I read Monkees fanfics online and enjoyed the weather and the peace and quiet. I even took the long way home, to the other side of the park and back up the White Horse Pike, so I could stay out in that gorgeous day just a little longer.

After I took out the trash, I went inside to figure out that cover letter. There's a reason I let Karen write it in the first place. I have no idea how to write a cover letter. I don't mind writing fictional stories, or making lists and spreadsheets, but I really hate writing about myself. What can I say? How can I explain that I don't talk to people well, I'm not good at multi-tasking, and I lack basic Microsoft Word skills? What should I tell people? How?

I finally gave up and worked on the inventory. Added all of my G titles on vinyl today, including the original stage versions of Grease, Gigi, Guys and Dolls, and Godspell, the George M. Cohen biography George M!, and the flops The Girl Who Came To Supper, The Grand Tour, Goldilocks, and Greenwillow. Most of these came from local record stores or thrift shops. Two came from yard sales over a decade ago...and I really don't remember where Gigi and Godspell came from anymore. 

Watched Beach Ball while I worked. I go further into Paramount's second shot at a Beach Party imitation at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Broke for dinner and Match Game Syndicated at 7 PM. Charles Nelson Reilly went on hiatus to do a Broadway play for the remaining weeks of the 1979 season. In the episode I saw, Dick Martin ably filled his spot, though Brett still wailed that she missed him badly.

Finished the night listening to my two CD finds from Circa Gallery on my last trip into Philly as I worked on the Beach Ball review. Deep In My Heart was MGM's last lavish biographical semi-revue, this one covering the life of operetta king Sigmund Romberg. In addition to Jose Ferrer singing all the parts, including three songs, from one of the Al Jolson comedies he wrote songs for, there's rare material here you just won't get anywhere else. Ann Miller leads an extremely Roaring 20's chorus through "It," the big comedy number from The Desert Song, while Howard Keel leads the male chorus through the rousing "Your Land and My Land" from the Civil War operetta My Maryland.

Despite what the liner notes said, the version of A Connecticut Yankee I found is actually the full recording of the 1955 TV version with Eddie Albert and Janet Blair. It's based on the 1943 revival, which is why everyone is an officer and in uniform, even the ladies. Actually, this does make for a unique contrast with the Arthurian segments. Gale Sherwood as Morgan LeFay sings Lorenz Hart's last lyric, the macabre and very funny "To Keep My Love Alive," while Blair and Albert have a lovely "My Heart Stood Still." 

No comments: