Tuesday, August 13, 2024

The Rhythm of Life

Began the morning with breakfast and more new Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. Daniel and his buddies are excited when they learn there's "Something New About Trolley." They each have their own idea of what it might be, but even they're not expecting what Trolley turns into!

Hurried out after that. Even rushing down Cuthbert and Haddon didn't make up for my leaving late. I was ten minutes late for my gynecologist appointment. It took me another 15 minutes to sign all the paper work, and another 10 or so minutes after that until the nurse came for me.

I'm not going into major details here. It's icky and really personal. I will say that I'm not happy with the results. Dr. Jessica's blood tests came out negative, including for diabetes. I think it's just all the stress I'm going through with trying to find a job and all the trouble I've had lately with my family disintegrating and looking for a purpose in life. 

I needed lunch after all that. The Haddon Diner is a lot more comforting than any of the fancy bars in Westmont. It's a tiny dark hole-in-the-wall in a shopping center, but they do make good food. My grilled chicken panini had tons of cheese, spinach, and roasted red peppers. The fries were nice and thick, and it came with a green salad.

Got water from Walgreens on Haddon Avenue, then picked up something I thought might help me at the Westmont Acme. Stopped at the Haddon Township Library to see if they had any books on dealing with parts of the body. I did find one book on women's body issues, one on menopause (there was another, but it looked too dry and technical), and an interesting book on writing by Anna Quindlen, Write For Your Life. I also grabbed Sweet Charity, which is only available on disc, for my blog review.

Hurried straight home and into Sweet Charity after that. I go further into this meandering 1969 comedy-drama with Shirley MacLaine as a taxi dancer looking for love in all the wrong places at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Had no luck with job hunting, so I spent most of the afternoon working on the inventory. Added the remaining three Indiana Jones soundtracks, Lilo & Stitch, the 40's-based soundtrack The Majestic, Mary Poppins Returns, the 2001 Baz Luhrmann Moulin Rouge, and my collection of songs from The Muppet Show and various Muppet films. While I picked up most of these in the last few years. I think Lauren sent me The Majestic as a birthday or Christmas gift around 2004-2005, and I have no clue where The Muppet Show came from.

Broke for dinner and Match Game Syndicated at 7 PM. Foster Brooks, Scoey Michilll, and Sarah Purcell joined in for an especially wild Audience Match. The panelists had a hard time with answers to "__ Balsam." When an answer from the audience turned out to be the one in the 500 slot, the entire panel walked off the stage!

Finished the night with The Music People as I worked on the Sweet Charity review. This may well have been my best find on that trip to Philadelphia last month. Unlike the K-Tel collections that tend to repeat songs, most of the numbers here are less-familiar works from popular artists like Santana and Ten Years After, or good stuff from little-known groups like Sweathog and The Chamber Brothers. Favorites include a "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by Johnny Winter that's worthy of Mick Jagger, "Go Down Gamblin'" by Blood, Sweat, and Tears, "I Call That True Love" by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, and "While the Sun Still Shines" by Fields.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Was it "Wella Balsam" by any chance? "Balsam" shampoo was really big back then. My mom finally asked her hairdresser (my former best friend's sister) about this "balsam" thing, and Barbara replied exasperatedly, "Mary, balsam is a tree!"

Emma Redmer said...

LOL...and I didn't want to give away spoilers, but yeah, it was. Surprised none of them heard of it, because I vaguely remember it too.