Friday, August 16, 2024

Night of the Counterculture Cut-Ups

Began the morning with breakfast and The Scooby Doo Show. Mystery Inc is in Mexico for a small town's annual fiesta. They're disappointed when a professor and his wife announce that "The Fiesta Host Is an Aztec Ghost" that's scaring visitors away from the nearby temple. Shaggy and Scooby dodge the huge ghost of King Montezuma and his moving statue minion while the other three figure out what it is that Montezuma is really after.

Switched to Press Your Luck while making my grocery list. I came in during the second half...and apparently, the Whammies were so thick in the first half, everyone ended up with two each and no money. One of the women got hit with Whammies and dropped out early. The man just kept winning...until he was hit, leaving the other lady as the only one who didn't get that one last Whammy. 

Headed out after that. Got to Collingswood Family Medicine with barely any time to spare. Things went much better than it has the last time I talked to Dr. Jessica. The blood pressure medicine is working well, I lost a few pounds, and I've enjoyed my walking trips around South Jersey and Philadelphia this summer. I was in such a good mood, she said I wouldn't need to come every two weeks anymore. I signed up to come in November and went on my way.

Made my way across Collingswood and Newton Lake Park and down Cuthbert to Sprouts next. I got to the Westmont Plaza just ahead of the crowds. I didn't need much at Sprouts anyway. Most of the peaches I bought from there last week went bad before I could eat them, so I bought plums instead. Zevia soda and my usual coconut milk were on sale, and I found very orange mango cookies for a good price. 

My next stop was the Westmont Acme. Mostly needed to restock granola bars and yogurt here. I had online coupons for the Made Good bars, for Oikos Protein yogurt, and for sugar-free Chobani. Bought a small tuna steak for dinner tonight and cooked shrimp and cocktail sauce for dinner tomorrow, with slices of pumpkin roll cake for dessert. The Culture Pop remains on sale; got Watermelon Lime and Strawberry Rhubarb. Picked up bagels for lunch this week and water for the trip home.

Ducked around the park this time, going down Cuthbert to Johnson Avenue, and then the White Horse Pike. It was a bit of a hot ride. It's not killer hot and humid like it was a few weeks ago, but it was still warmer than it has been. I quickly bought a pepperoni-stuffed pretzel and soda at A&A Pretzel Shop and was on my way.

Went straight upstairs and into lunch and Buzzr when I got home. I've seen the Sale of the Century Back to School week before, but I didn't mind catching it again. The kids were neck-and-neck for both shows, even after they bought trips, desks, and computers. A pretty and very smart blond cheerleader won in the first episode. The second just barely went to a sweet Asian artist. Neither girl won the grand prize jeep and trip to the Olympics. That ultimately went to a tall, handsome blond boy. 

Put on The Wild Wild West after I ate. "The Night of the Deadly Blossom" has Jim West and Artemis Gordon fearing for the life of the King of Hawaii after four military officers die mysteriously and a cruiser is sunk. Someone is determined to eliminate the king, and while Artemis works as a stevedore, Jim joins an attractive Hawaiian agent to find out what his real plan is.

Got my schedule at this point. In good news, slightly more hours. Two early days, but they're not on Saturday. I'll finally get back to the Collingswood Farm Market. I also ordered a new bike basket from Amazon. The part of the old one that held the basket away from the bike finally broke while going from Sprouts to the Acme. It's been breaking for a while, but I put off buying a basket because I can never find one I like around here. 

Worked on adding to the inventory for the next few hours. Did The Lion King, Tangled, the Disney Tarzan, the two Television's Greatest Hits sets, the Judy Garland A Star Is Born, the film version of Thoroughly Modern Millie, the Time-Life Movie Classics two-disc set, and When Harry Met Sally. I'll finish the soundtracks tomorrow with the Classic Disney collections, then start in on the cast albums.

Broke to make the tuna with leftover pasta primavera around 6:30. Watched Match Game Syndicated while I cooked. Anita Gillette appeared on these episodes for the first time since 1973. I'm not so sure it was a good idea to put Bart Braverman and Debralee Scott next to each other. They spent the week getting on each other's nerves. 

Finished the night with Laugh-In. The Monkees appeared on the show in 1969, when it was down to Micky, Davy, and Mike. Considering how weird their own show was, they fit in quite well there. The regular cast began the show making hot dog and chicken jokes in old-fashioned bathing suits. The Monkees played judge and lawyers in a case involving airplanes that are too noisy, while Davy had to contend with his salesman band-mates getting between him and Goldie Hawn. 

Peter Marshall dealt with his own cut-ups on the nighttime Hollywood Squares. Paul Lynde takes firm command of the center square here. The second episode, with Rose-Marie chiding John Davison for his bad answers, is especially cute.

You don't need to climb a skyscraper to honor the Master of the Squares!

No comments: