Saturday, August 17, 2024

Welcome to the Squares

Began a gloomy morning with breakfast and Rio. I go further into this 2011 hit about two macaws looking for her freedom and his owner at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


By the time Rio ended and I was heading out to work, it was showering at a pretty good clip. I ended up calling Uber. The one going there arrived in 9 minutes; I got the one going home in 6. No trouble anywhere, with traffic or getting to the Acme. Got in with just enough time to pick up medicine before work.

Work started out quiet, but it picked up around 1 and would be off and on for the rest of the day. The weather probably scared everyone off. Though the sun did try to come out at about 3 PM, it was mostly humid, cloudy, and cool. It even rained again briefly, though not hard like it did in the morning. I did have to put away cold items a few times when I was trying to sweep or do the carts, but there were otherwise no problems. Picked up M&M cookies with an online coupon on the way out.

Soon as I got home, I opened one of my two Amazon orders. (I'll open the other tomorrow.) I'm so glad they're finally putting more soundtracks from the Peanuts specials on vinyl! I splurged and picked up It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown, which was just released last month. Actually, despite the title, it really seems like a collection of themes from various specials, including You're In Love, Charlie Brown. I'll still be looking for more Peanuts vinyl in the future. Amazon has the release for You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown listed for next month, and I'd love to pick up Great Pumpkin and A Boy Named Charlie Brown, too. (And if these do well, I have my fingers crossed that we'll get Easter Beagle and the Valentine's specials somewhere along the line.) 

Finished the night after a shower with dinner and tonight's YouTube game show marathon. Match Game took a backseat tonight as Match Game Productions honored the late Peter Marshall with some of the most famous existing episodes of Hollywood Squares. The earliest existing episode features Marshall's lovely sister Joanne Drew and Rose-Marie protesting being left out of Peter's reference to "beautiful girls." Buddy Hackett was the center square in an infamous 1968 episode where he surprised himself by being right about a question on where the most doctors come from. 

By the early 70's, Paul Lynde had taken over as permanent resident of the center square. His seemingly off-the-cuff quips may have been scripted, but that didn't make them less hilarious. His most famous may have been his response to Peter's question about teeth that stuck out - "Look who's talking, Beaver Face!" The rest of the panel ran with it, making beaver jokes for the rest of the episode. He could be even funnier on the occasional Storybook Squares episodes. I've seen the ones where he played Frankenstein and Atilla the Hun, but the later "Hollywood Squares Party" episode with Mel Brooks as his Native Chief character from Blazing Saddles and Lynde as the world's least-likely Musketeer is new to me. 

Peter had one last blaze of glory on Squares. He finally got the chance to sit in the center square during the 2002 game show week of the late 90's-early 2000's Squares revival. Tom Bergeron stepped down on the only available episode and let Peter ask the questions...and Peter rolled right into it as if he'd never stopped, with a panel that included Jim Lange, Jimmie Walker, and Charles Nelson Reilly and Brett Somers sitting together for the last time. 

You won't be square if you check out the very best from the Master of the Squares himself!

No comments: