Saturday, August 31, 2024

Southern Belle Matches

Began the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Donald's Ducks" are having a hard time finding their way somewhere warm. Mickey and Donald help get them to a warm, sunny beach where they can spend the winter. 

Headed out after the show ended. I started out sweeping and doing carts, but switched to carts after a second bagger came in around noon. It actually could have been busier. Everyone must be waiting for the beginning of the month tomorrow and Monday. I had time to water the plants and consolidate buckets of roses for the floral department manager and put cold items away. 

I actually got my schedule online yesterday, but confirmed it today. In good news, more hours, and I work late enough next Saturday to hit the farm market. However, the head bagger took off on Tuesday and got Labor Day off, which means I'm working almost a week straight. I also have a seven hour day on Tuesday, though half of that will be in the floral department. 

Picked up a few things after work that I forgot yesterday. I didn't realize until this morning that I was almost out of multi-vitamins. The Acme's generic organic gummies were buy-one, get-one. Found cookies that were half-butter almond, half pumpkin on the clearance shelves. This week's Saturday free sample was Bodyarmor electrolytes drink. I went with fruit punch.

I needed to run to the bank, so instead of dashing across Camden County to Collingswood, I decided to hit the PNC in Mt. Ephraim. I forgot how scary it is riding down the Black Horse Pike. Though there are a few new businesses like the huge WaWa and the combination Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, most of the businesses on the Black Horse Pike are older, or closed all together. I passed many boarded-up buildings with cracked parking lots and overgrown lawns on my way down the Pike. 

At least the Mt. Ephraim PNC looks like it was remodeled recently and not nearly as scary. They were closed by 3:30, so I hit up the ATM. Got there, got my money, got out and back down the Pike.

Made a few other stops. I grabbed a pumpkin spice smoothie and an Orange-Strawberry Propel for later from WaWa. I realized on my way home that I forgot bagels for lunch at work this week, so I ended up back at the Acme to get those before finally heading home.

Rested a bit after I changed, then added a few titles to the inventory. Did Make a Wish, Mame, Man of La Mancha, the London favorite Me and My Girl, and the 1978 Merry Widow with Beverly Sills in the title role and a translation by Sheldon Harnick. Most of these were thrift shop finds, except for Make a Wish, which I picked up on eBay in 2022, and The Merry Widow, which I found at a yard sale. (I don't remember where Mame came from now.) 

Took a shower, then had dinner and finished on YouTube with tonight's Match Game Saturday Classics marathon. Mary Ann Mobley was another former Miss America who appeared on the show. In fact, she was the first Miss America to hail from Mississippi. She mostly appeared from 1973 through 1977, then came back in 1979 for a few weeks in syndication, always sitting in the fourth "ingenue" seat next to Richard Dawson. 

She was one of the more entertaining ladies to sit in that seat, gracious and funny even when her answers weren't the best. Mary Ann had the habit of giving rambling explanations as to how she got her answers. Once, she went on for so long, Gene sat down in front of her desk until she finished. (Twice.) Another time, she reached over to give a contestant a kiss...which set off everyone running over to kiss her or the contestant, including Tom Poston. 

Lift a mint julep to one of the fairest daughters of the deep south in this hilarious marathon! 

No comments: