Sunday, August 11, 2024

Tattletale Matches

Began the day with breakfast and the soundtrack from The Color Purple film that came out last December. I really do wish this had gone over better. There's some great music here. I loved Danielle Brooks' defiant "Hell No!" No wonder she was the film's only Oscar nomination. Other songs I really like include Fantasia Barrino and Taraji P. Henson's "What About Love?" and Barrino's "I'm Here." Most of the "inspired by" songs on the second disc are more generic soul and R&B numbers. "There Will Come a Day" by Mary J. Blige and "All I Need" by Jennifer Hudson are my favorites there. 

Worked on the soundtrack inventory and had lunch while the second CD was on. Added the two Grease movies, the Disney theme park music collection Fantasmic, and The Greatest Showman. Grease goes so far back, I haven't a clue when I got it or where anymore. I know I used to listen to it before high school dances in the late 90's and early 2000's. Either I picked it up from one of the music stores at the Hamilton Mall, or it was a birthday or Christmas present. 

Headed out to work even before the second CD ended. Other than taking a few cold items back, I spent the whole afternoon sweeping the store and pushing carts. Thanks to the stunning weather, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. The clouds that lingered when I went to work vanished by 3 PM. By the time I finished and hurried home, it was the most gorgeous day we'd had since May, sunny and blue and warm but not overly hot or humid. I'm surprised we were fairly busy, especially early in the afternoon. I figured everyone would be off to the Shore on such a lovely day.

Jumped in the shower when I got home, then got dinner. Finished the night at YouTube with the Match Game marathon. The owner of the channel continued last night's marathon, this time focusing on Mitzi McCall's husband of 64 years Charlie Brill. Charlie had his own fun on Match Game, appearing sporadically from 1974 through 1976. 

His first week featured him helping Joyce Bulifant and Marcia Wallace with a lovely and soft-spoken Italian contestant. Charlie turned up later that year, this time when Richard Deacon was replacing Charles Nelson Reilly. He saw a lot of questions teasing Brett, especially when she turned up wearing a West Hollywood Olympics t-shirt, and Deacon try out a toupee. 

He and Mitzi may be best-known for their Tattletales appearances. They were among the best celebrities on the show. It was all or nothing with those two. Either they'd win the episode, or they'd barely match. Once, they got no answers right. For the most part, though, they were together so long that they knew each other better than anyone else. There were a lot of jokes about who was a cheapskate, especially in the week with Martin Milner and Ross Martin and their wives. Charlie would jump up and yell "I smell VICTORY!" whenever he knew exactly what Mitzi would say. And more often than not, noise aside, he was right.

You won't need to be a tattletale to join this beloved duo in this delightful marathon! 

No comments: