Friday, July 29, 2016

Final Friday Harvest

Though it rained early in the morning, by the time I got out of bed, it was sunny and bright. I watched a couple of episodes of Danger Mouse from the second season as I had breakfast and got organized. The entirety of England has been cursed with bad luck by "The Bad Luck Eye of the Little Yellow God." Danger Mouse and Penfold travel to Australia to figure out how to end the curse. The duo have a "Close Encounter of the Absurd Kind" when they're kidnapped by aliens while chasing Baron Greenback over the Bermuda Triangle.

Headed out for a little grocery shopping around 11. I heard it may rain later, so I figured I'd get everything done as soon as I could. The clearance shelves are groaning with products the Acme is either phasing out, or were a part of their previous generic brand. I bought butter yellow cake mix, batteries, aspirin, cranberry-almond cluster cereal, and rum extract. Found Purdue ground chicken that was on sale and had a dollar manager's coupon. Restocked diced tomatoes, brown sugar, spiced wafers, skim milk, and peaches. Thought I'd try more of those frozen juice bars Lauren and I tried earlier in the summer. All they had left were Jolly Ranchers and sour flavors. I grabbed the former.

Went home, put everything away, then went right back out. First stop was Common Grounds Coffee House. I had a quick sweet spicy tea and an "Orange Creamcicle" Muffin. It was a little disappointing. Other than the orange-white chocolate on top, it didn't taste very citrus-y. The tea was as tasty as ever, though. It was around 1. There were a few people there, mainly local office workers looking for peace and quiet.

I rode by Dad and Jodie's house on my way to Haddon Township, but there was no van in the driveway, and it appeared that no one was home. Headed across the Newton River Park instead to the Haddon Township Library. Neither the library nor the park were busy. There wasn't a whole lot for me to do at the library. I shelved the few children's DVDs and new releases and the one audio book sitting in the stacks.

Did take out a few movies and another cartoon set. Renewed Ant-Man, which I still haven't gotten around to. Rose recommended The Box Trolls when we were talking about movies on the way to Anny's house on Wednesday. I've seen it at both libraries and have been meaning to take a look at it for a while now. Goldie & Bear is another Disney Junior show, this one with a fairy tale theme, that looks like it'll be fun. Found a lovely picture-book version of Beauty & the Beast (one of the inspirations for my current fanfic).

Made a quick stop at a very quiet Thriftway for Gatorade and a gift card before dodging the early traffic on Cuthbert and riding over to Dad and Jodie's. Jodie was there when I arrived; Dad came later. Jodie was making tons of food for Dad's birthday party tomorrow. I said "hello" to both and told them when I'm leaving on August 15th for vacation. Sounds like Dad will probably drive me to Cherry Hill that Monday, and Rose may pick me up on Sunday evening.

Spent the next few hours writing. Leia appears in a beautiful old sunken castle, dressed in fine clothes in a dining room with a table laden with seafood goodies. Her host is a handsome blond merman with Han's voice. He's charming and witty, but something seems very off about him...especially his large yellow eyes...

Today was Oaklyn's second Final Friday Food & Farms Festival. It was even busier than the first one last month. I didn't run into Rose and her family this time, but I did see one of the managers at work. (She apparently had off today, too.) As the farmer told me last month, there were two small farm stands this time. I'm glad. It made up for me not being able to make it to the Collingswood Farm Market this week. I was able to buy two perfect red tomatoes, two leeks, and a nice, small head of red-leaf Boston lettuce. The cheapest food I could find was the $3 hot dogs, soda, and chips deal from Viola's International Deli. The other food booths all sold fancy salads, crepes, or gourmet sandwiches that cost an arm and a leg. I ate the hot dogs, then strolled home with my soda.

Finished the night with a tomato and Boston lettuce salad and the first episode of Goldie & Bear. The title characters are Goldilocks and Little Bear, who are now best friends who happily play and romp with other fairy tale characters.  "The Birthday Chair" has Goldie repairing the chair she broke for Little Bear's birthday. Big Bad Wolf tells her it's not much of a gift. She tries to get the Three Little Pigs to make her something fancier, but they keep arguing over what to make it from. In the end, Goldie discovers that the simplest gifts are often the most appreciated.

Little Bear wants to be a "Big Bear" when Papa Bear tells him he's too young to do many things. He learns a lesson when he eats Jack's magic bean, which makes him grow into a huge, monster-sized bear! Though he can scare away villains from the gnome's magic tree, he's also too big to fit into his own home or really play with his friends anymore. It'll take a wish from the grateful gnome to set things right.

Windows 10 just doesn't seem to like me. It crashed twice tonight, once while I was working on my story. It hasn't done it in a few hours. If it does it again within the next two to five days, I'm going to start looking around for a patch or update or something that'll fix it.

Oh, and as you may have guessed, it never rained today. Never even came close. There were clouds off and on, but they were never that bad. It was actually really nice by 6 PM, perfectly blue and windy (if still very humid). Tomorrow, however, is supposed to get messy. We'll see what happens.

No comments: