Saturday, July 09, 2016

Welcome to the Summer Harvest

Began a cloudy, windy, killer humid morning with cartoons while I ate breakfast. Dug into my public domain collection for a couple of Popeye Famous Studios fantasy tales. "Ancient Fistory" is actually a take on "Cinderella," with Fairy God Pappy helping Popeye get to Princess Olive's ball. Olive wants some "Parlez Vous Woo" when she falls for a debonair TV star. Bluto does his own version of European smooth, which prompts Popeye to prove he's a lot more elegant than he appears.

I didn't make it to the Collingswood Farm Market until quarter of 11. Despite the cloudy day, the crowds were still pretty thick. The summer harvest continues to roll out. Snap peas, lettuce, and spinach are gone, replaced by peaches, corn, eggplant, summer squash, and turnips. I made my way around the crowds well enough to pick up small peaches, blueberries, two ears of corn, a tomato, mushrooms, and an apple cider donut.

Did a few more cartoons really quick when I got home. "Greek Mirthology" has Popeye telling his nephews the story of their ancestor Hercules (Popeye) and how he ate spinach to become strong. "Betty In Blunderland" takes Betty Boop into a musical world, where every character pops out of a hat and dances and sings for her...until the Jabberwocky arrives and takes off with her!

Headed to the Acme around noon to pick up my schedule and do this week's grocery shopping. Not too bad. I have Tuesday off this week along with Friday, and a later day on Monday will give me the chance to get the laundry done that morning. I do work early next Saturday and will have to miss the Collingswood Farm Market. I'm also off early on Wednesday. If I'm up to it, I may try to get to the Westmont Farm Market.

In any event, I didn't need a whole lot this week. Found a three-pack of salmon cakes with a manager's coupon. I'll have them for dinner later in the week. Restocked olive oil, coconut milk, chocolate chips, mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, peanut butter, yogurt, Irwin spice wafers (ginger snaps), and milk. The Acme generic brands were the cheapest cereal on sale. I kept things simple with bran flakes. I try to buy the McCormick seasonings when they're on sale; went with Montreal Chicken. Chobani had watermelon yogurt among their flavors. I've never seen that before. I thought I'd try that for a quick lunch.

It began to shower rather hard just as I was arriving at the Acme, Thankfully, by the time I got out, the rain was gone. It wouldn't return until late that night. In fact, the sun came out briefly later in the evening.

Between the humidity and the iffy weather, I wasn't going to chance any more running around. I was in for the rest of the day. I had my watermelon yogurt with strawberries while watching Wakko's Wish. The entire cast of Animanics takes part in a fantasy tale that has everyone rushing to a star when it falls to Earth after Wakko makes a wish. The first person (or animal) to get there will get their wish. However, in addition to regulars like the Warner siblings and Pinky and the Brain, an evil king is also after the star...and he'll do anything, including torture the Warners, to get that wish!

Fun for Animanics fans and lovers of 90's animation, this one was finally released on DVD last year.

Spent the rest of the afternoon working on my fanfiction. Leia follows Han out to the beach. She overhears him tell his boss he has the jewels he stole from the ball. Jabba, an evil sea slug, wants more. He wants the lovely Leia and her human soul. Han refuses to hurt her.

Leia rushes out just in time to see Jabba force Han into the water. The moment the waves hit him, the moonlight transforms his legs into a fish tail, and his voice cuts off. Leia's able to distract Jabba long enough for her and Han to flee across the water to a sheltered cove. She's hoping to get to Old Maz, the eccentric lady who tells fortunes and sells crafts nearby, but Jabba circumvents them. He's able to capture Han, telling Leia that if she wants him, she'll have to come to his palace in the reefs to get him. Han's disconsolate expression is the last thing she sees before she passes out on the jetty.

Broke around 6:30 to make chicken sausage in wine sauce with steamed snap peas for dinner. Ran a few Hello Kitty Furry Tale Theater shorts as I ate. Tuxedo Sam, the action-loving penguin, is the lead in two out of three of these stories. He gets to play "Peter Penguin," with Catnip as his Captain Hook and My Melody as Tinkerbell, and goes native in "Tar-Sam of the Jungle." Hello Kitty is his Jane, who wants him to return to civilization, but he can't leave his ape family to the schemes of poachers Catnip and Grinder. Chip the Seal gets a turn in the spotlight as a young King Arthur in "Paws of the Round Table," who must go on a quest to rescue Lady Bunnyvere (My Melody) from a fearsome dragon.

Lauren usually spends weekend evenings with her folks, so I finished out the night with Lego Star Wars. Running around Mos Eisley is fairly complicated, especially since it's in two parts. The first half follows Luke and Obi-Wan as they search the town for a good pilot and try to avoid stormtroopers. After they find Han and Chewie, the two smugglers have to get back to their ship the Millennium Falcon and chase after a spy. There's a lot of building required in this round, including making an Imperial walker that was required to finish the first part. It was more of a pain than anything. I kept getting shot out of it.

The first half of Leia's rescue was a lot easier. It was pretty much just running around the Death Star, shooting stormtroopers and getting to Leia's cell. Next time, I'll do the second part of Leia's rescue and see if I can finish New Hope.

No comments: