Sunday, July 03, 2016

Listen to That Ragtime

The day did not begin well. It took longer than I thought it would to finish Heirs to the Body. I ended up having to rush my Blueberry Pancakes and ended up burning them. I had maybe five minutes to eat them before I had to run off to work.

Work wasn't too bad when I arrived...but as early as 10:30, the crowds started arriving. I was outside gathering carts for most of the day, except for the half-hour I was on a register because we were that incredibly busy. Thankfully, it slowed down long enough for me to get off with no fuss.

I had to pick up a few things I forgot Friday. The big one was peanut butter. The only good sale was the Acme's generic brand (which I'm not a fan of). I went with their generic natural brand - a little more expensive, but I like it better. I also needed whipped topping for the cupcakes tomorrow, pads, and paper towels. Thankfully, the lines weren't long at all by then. Everyone must have gone to their barbecues.

As soon as I got home, changed, and put everything away, I went right back out. I wanted to get my laundry done. I'm not going to do it on a holiday. I picked the right day. By 3:30, the place was dead except for the manager wiping the tops of the washers. A few people came in and out, but it was never really busy. I wrote story notes and half-listened to the Wimbledon tennis tournament on the TV.

When I got home, I put everything away, then had leftovers and a romaine lettuce salad for dinner while listening to records. I got America the Beautiful at I think a thrift shop short after I moved here. It's a collection of patriotic music, ranging from choral numbers to "On the Trail" from The Grand Canyon Suite to a sing-along medley of George M. Cohan tunes, originally compiled in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in 1986. I listen to at least the first disc on or right before most major patriotic holidays.

Finished the night in the bath. Listened to my original cast CD's for Ragtime while I soaked, and later while I was online. I've been a huge fan of the late 90's musical version of the E.L Doctorow novel since it came out. My favorite numbers are "New Music" and "Our Children." (I'm also rather fond of "Let's Run Away to Atlantic City" and the wonderful "Journey On.") It's too bad this show may be a bit too complicated to work on Broadway. The overproduced original did all right but was no world-shaker; a revival a few years ago floundered. Great cast, though, including one of my favorite Broadway singers, Audra Ann McDonald, as Sarah.

No comments: