Sunday, July 24, 2016

Too Hot to Handle

Started a very hot, hazy morning with Blackberry Spice Pancakes and the Malt Shop Memories Time-Life CD set I picked up last month. I bought this specific one because it had a couple of songs I hadn't heard of before, which doesn't often happen with oldies collections. My favorite of the numbers I didn't recognize was "Just One Look" by Doris Troy. Also liked "Don't Say Nothin' Bad About My Baby" by the Cookies and the original version of "Hey Girl" by Freddie Scott.

Spent the rest of the morning writing. Jabba has turned Han into a hideous sea monster and is keeping him at the center of the maze. The slug insists he's a stupid beast who is supposed to obey his commands and kill the girl who wants his treasure. Han knows there's something wrong, but he's too confused to figure out what.

Meanwhile, Maz the beachcomber witch has been watching all from her shack by the waters. She mixes up a powder to mix with the water that will give Han and Leia much-needed good dreams.

Had a quick Peanut Butter and Jelly for lunch before heading to work. Work was very tiring. I was outside doing carts for almost the entire 4 hours I was there. I did gather baskets a few times, and I changed the trash bags outside towards the end of my shift, but it was mostly carts. We were still busy with Sunday shoppers when I came in. By the time I left, it had slowed down considerably.

There was a kind of scary incident in the early part of my shift. I think what happened was one guy was driving fast and cut the other guy off. Shortly after, two men were standing on the patio, yelling at each other about bad driving and waving their arms. It got to the point where they started shoving each other. A lady told them to knock it off. I reminded them as I gathered carts that, first of all, they were acting like silly little boys in a public parking lot, on a Sunday. Second, there's a police station next-door to Applebee's, and people do have smart phones. The cops arrived seconds after the altercation started. Needless to say, I got out of the Acme as soon as I grabbed my favorite Honey Chex Mix on sale for a dollar.

I went right in the shower when I got home. I needed it badly. I was a sweaty mess after gathering carts for hours. A long cool shower never felt so good.

When I came out, I had leftovers for dinner while listening to one of my oldies records. I forgot I had 1950's Treasures of Love, a collection of rock ballads. "Sea of Love" is my personal favorite here. That was one of the songs Mom used to use in her oldies exercise classes when I was a kid in the late 80's - early 90's, and I still think it's just as romantic today.

No comments: