Monday, October 15, 2007

Sisterhood

I went clothes shopping with my sister Rose this morning at the Cherry Hill Mall. We didn't have the time to do as much as either of us wanted, since I had to work at 1:30, but we did have a good time. She bought some "body sugar" from Sephora, a fancy make-up store. I bought an incredibly comfortable light knit sweater in a gorgeous shade of royal teal blue from the newly remodeled Lane Bryant. The lady at the counter agreed with me; she said she'd bought several short-sleeved versions of the shirt in the summer, she found them so comfortable.

Rose had several good suggestions on the way home. First of all, she hit on why my server was acting funny. I had ignored Netscape's hints to upgrade; you have to restart to do that, and they're rarely that big of a deal, anyway. Turns out this one WAS. Rose said I should try to upgrade and see if that helped, because that was more than likely why the server was slow. It took me a while to get everything in order, but I did upgrade tonight, and the server has worked fine for the past four hours, so that'll hopefully take care of THAT.

I would like to try to get an eye exam and, at the least, get new glasses. I haven't had an eye checkup since 2000, and I'm starting to get double vision when I stare at something for too long. (Like staring at a computer screen, for instance.) Rose put in a word for contacts; she's worn them for years. I've never had them, for three reasons - I was afraid I'd never be able to put the damn things on, I figured they didn't make them strong enough for my bad eyes (I'm horribly nearsighted and my right eye is lazy; it wanders to the side and looks weird), and Mom had always told me I'd never be able to handle them. I'm tired of Mom worrying I can't do this, that, and the other thing. I understand she's trying to protect me, but I'm a big girl now, and I'm tired of being afraid to try things.

Rose's other suggestion was to try to publish my writing again. I'm really nervous about it. My stories were turned down the one place I tried to send them, but it may have been the wrong market. I haven't written any non-fanfic stories in ages, you have to do all this formatting and writing to this and that editor, and besides, I don't know if my stuff is really all that GOOD.

I got in with plenty of time to make it to work. (Thanks, Sis!) Work was on-and-off busy, but steady and without the problematic customers of the weekend.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm glad your mom worries about you, but the person to ask if contacts would work with your particular eye problems is the opthamologist. If he says they should work on you and you think you can put them in, go for it.