Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cleaning Lady

Did my library volunteering today. I organized the children's DVDs, which needed it badly (everything was out-of-place), put the adult DVDs away (there were a ton), and organized the adult CDs. I also brought back the book I was reading and finally finished, The Temple of Music, a fascinating Ragtime-esque historical novel on the assasination of President McKinley at the titular building in Buffalo in 1901. Unlike Ragtime, however, all of the characters were real, from McKinley's mentally ill wife Ida to the equally troubled assassin, Leon. I just left after I finished with the CDs. I didn't think it was a good idea to take out anything else before my vacation.

I made a quick stop at Super Fresh, but I didn't like the prices there on the things I needed, then took the long way home across Newton River Park. It was a gorgeous day, sunny, dry, and about 80 degrees. I made one last quick stop at Doria's Deli, but they were closed for their summer vacation, so I just headed home.

I spent the rest of the afternoon baking Blueberry White Cake, reading the Melendy Quartet book Linda Young sent me, and cleaning my bathroom and kitchen, both of which badly needed it, especially the bathroom. The ring around the bathtub was terrible!

About half-way through cleaning the bathroom, the Acme called. Could I come in Thursday? I wasn't sure. I told Erica I'd volunteer for the thrift shop on Thursday morning, and they wanted me to come in at noon. I finally said yes. I felt bad because Erica asked me first...but the Acme's paid work, and I still need the hours to pay my rent and to pay for my glasses, dental work, and vacation. Maybe I could do an hour, or come in on a day when I come back and the Acme is less busy.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Mmm, blueberry white cake. Recipe, please? ;)