Saturday, August 09, 2008

Cool In August...And Loving It!

I awoke to quite a shock this morning. It was...cool. At least 65 degrees. In the morning. In August. I didn't need an air conditioner in the morning in August. It's August, and I didn't need an air conditioner. Or even a fan, really.

I was quite a happy woman. And a tired one. I was up a little too late last night, making work more of a pain than it should have been. I was really down on myself today. I didn't mean to be, but it gets worse when I'm tired. I don't think well when I'm tired. I'm sick of feeling like the last 29-year-old left in the entire South Jersey area who lives by herself, isn't married, has no real family of her own and no friends nearby, and went to college and is still stuck in a job she hates.

I went to a craft fair in Collingswood to cheer myself up after work. The weather was almost exactly the same as yesterday (sunny with occasional clouds), but cooler...and no rain this time. Unlike the fair on Memorial Day weekend, it was just crafts and food this time, no rides or games or classic cars. I didn't have the money to buy anything but a soft pretzel, but I looked at doll beds (my poor Samantha needs a new bed - the old baby doll bed I've used for her for years is falling apart) and gorgeous paintings. Some of them looked so much like my native Cape May at this time of year, I found myself feeling homesick.

I have fond memories of seeing painters sitting on the rocks on the end of the promenade in Cape May, on the edge of Cape May and Cape May Point. I'd pass them on my way to the Cape May Point State Park for a long walk on a nice summer day, or to gather "Cape May Diamonds," shiny pieces of quartz buffeted for years by the waves.

I spent the rest of the afternoon after I came back watching Get Smart episodes and editing the role play. I finally posted the new Monkees story and several short stories at our site - look for them tonight!

1 comment:

Tina said...

We all feel alone sometimes...no matter what our situation. I promise you, you are normal, and one day you will have everything you want.