Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gonna Make Me A Pie

I woke up late and just made it to work. Work went quite well. It was steady but not busy, and though my relief was late, it was quiet enough for me to leave on time anyway. I was originally going to make coconut cookies this afternoon, but I finally decided it was too hot and opted to make another pudding pie instead.

After a short walk to CVS for eggs and shoelaces (the laces on one of my work sneakers was fraying and I was afraid it would break any day), I came home, made my Coconut Lime Cream Pie, and watched Waitress, the last of the three DVDs I took out from the Oaklyn Library last week. Waitress was the touching, sweet story of Jenna, the title diner server who excels in pie-baking, but not her love-life. She desperately wants to earn the money to take her amazing desserts to a pie-baking contest and get away from her stifling, jealous husband. She's initially frustrated when she discovers she's pregnant and her plans may have to be put on hold, but her encounters with her handsome new doctor and the grumpy owner of the pie shop where she works may help change her feelings about motherhood...and about her life.

I was quite impressed with this sweet, good-natured tale of a woman who learns to take her life into her own hands, and that motherhood can be as sweet and as difficult a journey as any pie-baking. Not to mention, most of the pies she talks about really do sound sensational.

Oh, and I talked to Mom tonight. She's not terribly happy. Daddy has had trouble with his fishing boat breaking constantly all summer, and there's not much left of the fishing season. She's worried he won't make enough to pay their bills or the mortgage on their new house. I wish I could help, but I don't even own a house. I'll be lucky if I can afford my vacation.

No comments: