Friday, August 08, 2008

Would You Believe...Sun and Rain At the Same Time?

It was an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous day today, sunny, windy, and in the lower 80s when I got up this morning. I slept in again and headed over to the Acme for my paycheck and to run some errands in the late morning and early afternoon. I went quickly to the Audubon Post Office branch to deliver the inadvertent extra copy of Yankee Doodle Dandy that Amazon.com sent me to Lauren, and then went over to FYE, trying to avoid looking at the former International House of Pancakes being demolished in between. (I ate in that place about two years ago and I didn't see anything wrong with it then...) I didn't like the price of Get Smart: Season 1 at FYE, so I went to see if Wal-Mart had it. They did, and I ended up with Get Smart and some other things I really needed. I stopped at Acme for this week's grocery shopping, then headed home.

After lunch, putting the groceries away, and finishing The Pirate Movie, which I'd put on last night, I went back out again for a long bike ride. I had to go to the bank anyway, so I just continued on after I deposited my paycheck. I finally ended up in Barrington, a town a few miles away. Like Audubon, Collingswood, and Haddon Heights, it's a lovely little small town with an attractive historic district. I went to a little coffee shop for a Pumpkin smoothie and half of a chocolate-walnut blondie, then went exploring. I found this awesome, huge antique store near the White Horse Pike. Geeze, that place was a labrynth! It was an awesome one, though. It had two floors, and both floors were crammed with everything from Victorian furniture to 80s Happy Meal toys. After I finally found my way back to the first floor (the second floor being a hive of tiny, barely-move-around-in-them, jammed-to-the-gills rooms), I ended up with a Golden Book my sisters and I had when we were little, Mickey Mouse: The Kitten Sitters, and a book for a Nancy Drew-esque 30s Stratemeyer series called the Dana Girls, The Secret of One Tree Cottage.

Heavy black clouds had gathered while I was in the Antique Center, and they finally burst as I made my way home. And I mean, really burst. It poured in huge drops. I had to stop not once, but twice to avoid the squall, once under an awning at the shops on Pine Street, another time under a huge old tree between Audubon and Haddon Heights. At one point, it was even pouring and sunny at the same time! By then, I'd finally said "what the heck" and headed on my way. I made another brief stop at Doria's Deli for brown sugar (theirs is cheaper than the Acme's), and headed on my way home. (Incidentally, despite seeing more clouds, it hasn't rained again. That must have just been a freak summer shower.)

I spent the rest of the evening having tilapia for dinner and watching Get Smart. Good old Max. Somethings NEVER change...like spy spoof still being funny. It was a bit of a surprise seeing the black and white pilot - it actually made this frequently over-the-top show seem a bit more realistic, but on the other hand, made it look a tad bland (and like other 60s shows) as well.

No comments: