Tuesday, July 20, 2010

At the Library

I made an early run to the Haddon Township Library today. It was cloudy, but not dark enough for the kind of storms we've been having lately. The heat and humidity lingered, but neither were as heavy as the last few days. I made one short stop at Super Fresh, then headed across the street.

The Haddon Township Library was hopping, even a mere half-hour after opening. Today was one of the kids' story hours, and the cart was overflowing with their just-returned DVDs. There were also a ton of non-fiction DVDs to return, the most I've ever seen checked out at one time. (Perhaps parents are trying to give their children lessons during the summer?)

I browsed the library for a little while after I finished with the DVDs. I took out four DVDs myself - Chinatown, Sweet Charity, another Care Bears disc, and a pirate-themed Scooby Doo movie. I also grabbed two guide books on the Philadelphia/Amish County area, and two kids' books, Wind In the Willows (which sounds like a good summer book to me), and Dancing Shoes, another one of Noel Streatfeild's Shoes series (which includes one of my favorite books, Ballet Shoes).

My stomach started rumbling around 1:30. Time to head out and get some lunch. I went back across the street to the Bagel Shop. Had a simple Turkey and Provolone Cheese Sandwich on a pumpernickel bagel with fries and pickle chips as the soaps ran. The place was pretty quiet. The only other person there was a guy reading the local paper, The Retrospect.

I had debated going for a longer bike ride, but it was still cloudy. The clouds weren't heavy and it wasn't that humid, but after the weather we've had in the last few weeks, I didn't want to take chances. Not to mention, I didn't want to spend money, either, and I inevitably end up browsing in local stores during these jaunts. I just rode home.

I tried to watch Scooby Doo: Pirates Ahoy! when I got in. The movie took a while to load, but it worked...for about the first 20 minutes. After that, it slowed down and wouldn't run right. And no wonder. When I took the DVD out and flipped it over, I discovered it had more scratches than an 80-year-old vinyl record! The Care Bear DVD was fairly scratched, too, but it did run all the way through. It was a disappointment after the last disc, though, mostly episodes I'd already seen two or three times on CBS.

Bored, I decided to take advantage of the cooler weather and get outside. I changed into my bathing suit and went for a swim at Dad and Uncle Ken's. Jodie was just coming over as I was and Dolores was chatting with two of her grown children on the porch. Otherwise, it was pretty quiet. No kids or buddies around this time! I went for a short, sweet swim. The water was slightly cooler than Saturday, but still not anywhere resembling cold.

I had a lovely dinner of tilapia with peppers and mushrooms and honey-glazed carrots when I got home. I was going to leave the air conditioner off, but while it isn't as hot as it was, it still isn't cool enough to go without extra air, either.

No comments: