Saturday, July 03, 2010

Oaklyn On Parade

Since my neighbor wasn't out yet when I headed for my Saturday morning errands, I decided to walk instead of taking the still-deflated bike. I hit the bank first, then hiked to the Collingswood Farm Market. The Farm Market was as busy as ever, with many people buying food for their 4th of July parties and barbecues. Cherries were gone, but I was able to buy tomatoes, peaches, blueberries, blackberries, green beans, spinach, a cucumber, blueberry butter, and the first sugar plums and green peppers of the season.

I had a long, hot walk back to Oaklyn. The Oaklyn 4th of July Parade was supposed to be at 10 this morning. I haven't seen it in two years and really wanted to catch it. I heard fire engines and police cars when I arrived back on West Clinton Avenue around 10:40 and assumed it had already passed by...but there were tons of people sitting on the curb. I asked a man if the parade had started yet. As it turned out, in a time-honored tradition, no, it was late.

That worked out great for me. I plopped on the sidewalk near the apartment building on the corner of Manor and West Clinton, across from the billiards supply store, just in time. Less than 10 minutes after I sat down, the first glimpse of marching bands could be seen coming down the street.

I love parades, and while this one wasn't nearly as elaborate as the Christmas parade in Collingswood (no Mummers), it was fun. There were two local brass bands, kids on decorated bikes and wagons, and lots of local kids' sports teams in decorated vehicles. And everyone was tossing Jolly Ranchers, Dubble Bubbles, Tootsie Rolls, Tootsie Pops, Starlight Mints, and Brach's Ice Mints and Butterscotch discs! Even I filled a pocket of my backpack with Jolly Ranchers and Ice Mints.

I enjoyed more healthy treats, too. I snacked a little on my blueberries from the farm market while waiting for the parade. They were very popular. A mother and her teenage and college age daughters jokingly said they were ready to fight me for them.

When the parade ended, I joined the throng heading for the end of West Clinton Avenue and the front lawns of the Oaklyn School, where bleachers had been erected. The mayor made a speech, and one of the brass bands played "The Star Spangled Banner." After the band finished, the mayor announced the winners of the float and bike-decorating contests, and then everyone adjourned to the school's back lawn for hot dogs, soda, peanuts, and chips.

I had my hot dog, Pepsi, and peanuts in a shady spot next to the school building. It was really busy, but the line moved quickly. I leaned back and appreciated being able to join in this year. I've worked in the morning the day of the parade for the last two years. It was nice to be able to join the community and show some town spirit.

Michael was working on my bike when I finally got back to the apartment. He said the inner tube I'd bought was the wrong size, but was able to patch the old one. He also pumped both tires and tightened the chain. His attempts to cover my old handlebar grips with new foam went over less well. The tape he used didn't stay all that great and left black marks on my hands.

I rested for a while after talking to Michael. I briefly went over to Dad's and Uncle Ken's around 12:30, but no one was home. (Dad later told me that, ironically, they were at the party at the VFW across the street from me!) Spent the rest of the afternoon listening to my original cast album CDs for Ragtime and reading.

The bike held up fine to and from work. In fact, I had a lovely ride both ways. Work was off-and-on busy, though it did quiet down a bit towards the later part of the evening. There were a few annoying customers...and I didn't help. By the end of the night, I'd come off my sugar rush and was dead tired. I was in no mood for dealing with obnoxious old ladies and people who either wouldn't bag at all (or complained loudly about it) or rebagged everything I did.

Thank goodness I have off tomorrow. I hope all of my American readers enjoy your 4th of July weekend, too!

No comments: